Chapter 4

"So how'd it go?"

Clay placed his briefcase on his desk, hanging his umbrella on a rack by the door on the way there. "Eh, as expected, she fucking hates me." Clay looked up seeing the familiar face. "Also, get out." He wasn't too please to see Wilbur making himself comfortable in one of the chairs of his private office, but wasn't too surprised seeing him there. Clay's office was standard luxury, modern with dark tones and a large window with a view of the city.

Wilbur disregarded Clay's request and kept on going. "She'll warm up to you....hopefully. But anyways, though I couldn't do the case, I know she's in great hands! Thank you so much man for taking this case, it really means a lot to me."

Clay half heartedly listened to Wilbur ramble on as he organized his files on his desk. "I'm not doing it for you." He coldly responded to Wilbur.

Wilbur tried to keep on his cheerful smile and demeanor that he always held even though Clay quickly shut him down.

Clay stopped what he was doing for a moment, taking a glance at Wilbur, only to come back to his work seconds later. "You still are paying for her right?" Clay chuckled, "I don't really expect you to keep your promises."

"Ha....funny stuff, funny stuff." Wilbur looked down to the floor, his uncomfortable laughing coming to a halt. "But yes, I will..." He looked back up at Clay, "But I mean that's if you win the case...I'm joking, of course are!" Wilbur tried to brighten the room, but by the look on Clay's face, he was far from amused. Wilbur sat there in silence for a couple moments, failing to amuse Clay or even himself.

Wilbur got up and started to walk around Clay's quite large office, stopping to look through his large floor to ceiling window. Wilbur looked down at the cars on the congested road below, "Nice view." Clay didn't respond.

"You know, I was thinking about switching. You know, from prosecutor to lawyer. You guys seemed to get paid so much more and being a prosecutor can make me feel like shit." Wilbur laughed before looking back at Clay, seeing him sit at his desk, doing his work and not paying attention to a single thing he was saying. Wilbur silently looked back at Clay's view.

"Are you going to leave?" Clay didn't even bother to look at Wilbur's face, his eyes still focused on his work and his grudge still sitting inside him.

Wilbur smiled before heading out. "Good luck on the case!" He looked at Clay one more time before shutting the door behind him.

-

A couple days prior to Clay and Y/n's first meeting in the investigation room

I looked up from ground, seeing the torso of a man in front of me right across the table of the investigation room. I could almost recognize his face, but couldn't quite pinpoint the name. He put his hand in front of mine, offering for a handshake, almost tripping on air as his hand extended towards mine.

I hesitantly shook his hand back, not sure who he was. As soon as I shook his hand he pulled out the cheap plastic chair across from mine. He pulled out a couple files from his briefcase as he did the best to make himself comfortable on the hard and unflattering chair.

"Hello, I'm Wilbur Soot and I'll be your prosec-" Wilbur stopped in the middle of introducing himself as soon as he read my name in his paper. "Y/n?"

My eyes slightly widened after finally remembering who he was.

"Y/n! I haven't seen you in so long!" Wilbur laughed. He was always the cheerful or dorky type of person. "I almost didn't recognize you! You look like you lost a lot of weight, and...older." Wilbur giggled again.

"Wilbur?" Damn, I haven't seen that twink since high school. "Puberty hit you like a truck."

"Thank you?" Wilbur smiled. "And you didn't seem to get any taller!"

"Thank you?"

"That wasn't a compliment," Wilbur laughed.

I awkwardly laughed with him, how is he so goddamn happy.

"Okay, okay, let's get started." Wilbur picked up one of his files again and started reading over the page again. "I didn't think I got to finish earlier, I will be your prosecutor." Now hearing himself say that out loud Wilbur couldn't help but to be quite disappointed to be against his old high school friend.

"Okay so you are being convicted of.....murder." Wilbur had to take a second to reread the sentence again. "Murder?" He murmured to himself. He awkwardly giggled, "Wow, was not expecting that."

"I swear I didn't do it. I was set up. I didn't kill him." I put my head in my hands.

Wilbur gave himself a couple of moments to think and contain himself. He hated it when he would get personally involved in a case and right now it seemed like he was.

"I really believe you...." Wilbur sighed, "But professionally...I can't." Wilbur looked down, dropping the files on the table. "Shit," He whispered to himself. He put his hand up to his forehead.

"I didn't kill him I swear." I looked back at him.

"And I really believe you but..."

The boring gray room stood silent for a couple of moments, spending that time to think of ideas to help. Though not yet reading through the case Wilbur was already sure that I was innocent. "Here, call this number." Wilbur frantically scribbled on a piece of torn up paper he just ripped out. "He's a really good lawyer, the best I know of. I bet he'll get you out of this."

I took his paper, "Thank you..." I stared at the numbers written.

"I'll have to go now." Wilbur packed all his files that he barely even used back into his briefcase before getting up. "It was really nice seeing you again." Wilbur grinned before tripping on air yet again on his way out.