Chapter 20

Uttering our favorite words,
Holding onto our little moment.
I will never forget it as long as I live.

—Stay with me; Miki Matsubara.

~~~

"Hello!" Greeted a very enthusiastic voice. (I don't think there is a need to explain who.)

"Hi!" I sprung up from my revolving seat and buried her in a looooooooong hug.

Ugh! It's been four days!

"How's it going?" She asked me while resting her chin on my chest, making it hard for me to not kiss her beautiful smile.

"Well... Uh... There's nothing new and exciting here." I confided. That's how it always has been. I was transferred here because it is boring. My track record of working in Border Services and CBI didn't make my father's friend (a.k.a The Commissioner) feel safe about me and my mindset.

"Ugh! I think I get you. BUT! Now I have this sensational case!" She exclaimed, "did you know this bastard has about 200 acres of land which were registered in the name of his Benamis? Like those people don't even know that their names and signatures were used for it! God! It just makes me want to kill him with my bare hands! It makes him liable for forgery, violation of Tax—"

She kept on blabbering while I pinned her to the wooden door of my cabin, meeting shell-shocked eyes staring at me agape, while a soft smile graced my lips. "You talk a lot, Miss Kiran."

A very soft and awkward chuckle escaped her warm lips. The only thing that is stopping me from doing things is that I am aware of the presence of a security camera in my room. It never had a purpose and right now annoying the ever-living shit in me.

"Well... what do you want me to do then?" She asked coyly with a smirk.

So I reciprocate her bratty energy, "Hmm... I don't know... Maybe shut your mouth?"

She raises her eyebrow while I challenge her with the same "We'll then... Make me..."

"You are seriously asking for trouble Kiran..." I try to warn her but fail at it as my enthusiasm soars from that low grave voice, eliciting an appreciating hum from her.

"Bite me."

Oh well-

Before I could take the matter further, a rasp knock interrupted our little push and pull dynamic.

"Talk about timing..." I muttered under my breath, releasing her from my little prison of forearms. With all honesty, I like her better that way. In my arms.

"Sir? May I come in?"

I quickly move away from her so that she can take the visitor's seat in my cabin, opening the door to reveal our cute Sambayya and the CI, Vivek.

"Good Morning, Sir. Oh! Kiran is also here!" Sambayya exclaimed, "How is the case going ra? Did you receive the files I have sent?"

"Yes, Sir. Thank you," She smiled warmly, "and as for the case, I..." She glanced at me for a brief second and continued, "I might have to go to Bihar and Delhi...?"

"What?" I impede their conversation. "Delhi? Alone? Why?" I asked as if I had complete authority over her life. I didn't even give it a thought that maybe she might feel bad for barging into her job. But it was Bihar and Delhi she was talking about.

Sambayya and I share a known look of concern and inquire even more for the details. "Why do you have to go there ra?" Sambayya popped the question before I could lose my sanity. Kiran politely asked Vivek to give us some privacy with a little look.