11

The front doors to the Slayer Organization swing open, Luna walks in wearing a bright yellow and green sundress. Spotting Zadie instantly, Luna runs over, hugging her tightly. Zadie hesitates in surprise before patting the small child's back as she continues to hold onto Zadie's legs.

"Luna, you can't just run up to people you barely know and hug them." Cinder scolds her, giving Zadie an apologetic look.

Luna pulls away, looking up at Zadie.

"It's alright. Your dress is beautiful, Luna." Zadie smiles down at her.

Luna grins, grabbing the tip of her dress doing a twirl in response.

"Thank you both for coming," Blade speaks up, both hands behind his back.

"Not like we had a choice. Someone would have come for Luna if we hadn't." Cinder and Blade lock eyes knowing it's the truth.

"Let's get this over with." Cinder changes her tone, not looking forward to this at all.

Blade nods showing them to the elevator.

When they get to the lab, it's almost entirely empty. Only a handful of people roam about. Hydie greets them with a friendly smile as they step off the elevator.

"Hello, I am Hydie Johnson. It's nice to meet you both." Zadie notices Hydies lips have a light pink tint to them today.

Luna waves sheepishly as she hides behind Cinder.

"I'm Cinder, the Alpha of the Night Howlers pack, and this is Luna." Cinder introduces with a hint of irritation in her voice.

Hydie looks to Blade, not missing it. Blade simply gives her a look of "I told you so."

"Follow me, and we can get started." Hydie shows them to a room with a patient bed, along with a round table and chairs.

Everyone files in. Luna takes a seat on the bed with Cinder standing by her side. Blade stands against a wall on guard, ready for anything. You can feel the tension fill the room.

"First, I'll check Luna's vitals, then take some blood," Hydie explains to Cinder, beginning by checking her heart rate.

Zadie sits in one of the chairs at the round table, "How have you been?" Zadie asks, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"Everything's fine now that Luna isn't sick anymore." Cinder responded, watching every move Hydie makes.

"Yeah, I don't feel sick at all anymore." Luna's face seems to glow with happiness as she meets Zadie's gaze.

"How long ago did the symptoms start?" Hydie questions as she checks Luna's ears.

"A little over a week ago, it started out of nowhere." Cinder informs her, unsure how this happened.

"Just to confirm, she hasn't been around anyone else who has Rabisum?" Hydie glances at Cinder for a quick second while taking Luna's temperature.

"No, she nor I have been around anyone who has it." Cinder glares.

"I don't mean to question your parenting skills. These are all just standard questions I have to ask." Hydie explains, not meaning to offend her.

Cinder crosses her arms and sighs, "I understand. But, she's also not my daughter."

Hydie freezes for a moment, "Sorry, I just assumed since"- Cinder waves a hand, not upset in the slightest.

"I found her a few months ago on the streets all alone. She said her father had abandoned her, so I took her in." Cinder explains, letting herself relax, "She didn't have any bite marks or other injuries that could result in how she got the disease."