Chapter 7

Erika's POV

It was Saturday morning. I was at breakfast with Luke. He was unusually quiet.

"What's the matter, Luke?" I asked, concerned. Luke put a smile on his face, but it wasn't a real smile.

"Nothing, baby," he said. "I'm alright." But I knew something was up. Then it hit me! What if he didn't like me? He's going to break up with me, I thought, tears filling my eyes. My first and only boyfriend was going to break up with me. Didn't he know how much I like him?

"Erika!" Luke said, alarmed. "Are you crying?"

"Uh, no," I mumbled. "Just...something in my eye." Luke looked at me.

"Erika, what's wrong?" A tear rolled down my cheek. I couldn't stop it.

"Luke, do you like another girl?"

"No! You're the only girl for me."

"Promise?"

"Promise." Luke leaned forward, close enough to kiss. Then the bell rang. Talk about perfect timing. "I'll walk you to class," said Luke, swinging his backpack over his shoulder. He held my hand the whole way there. We finally stopped in front of the algebra class.

"Bye, Lukey," I said, wrapping my arms around him.

"Bye, sweetie," he said, returning the hug. I waved to him as he walked to his first class.

Luke was quiet the rest of the day. I knew he was hiding something from me, but what. I felt sick when I imagined him cheating on me with another girl. He's so hot, I'm surprised he was single for that long! After school, who did I see in my room but my beloved Luke.

"Lukey!" I screeched, and ran to hug him. I pressed my face against his chest. I smelled something that smelled like a mixture of cherry lollipops and dryer sheets.

"Erika," started Luke, "you know how we almost kissed this morning?"

"Yeah," I said, rubbing his back.

"Well," he said, as if he was going to start a sentence. I gazed into his blue-grey eyes. I was about to say something when his face started coming closer to mine. Then our lips touched, creating a- a spark, I guess. It was a spark of something, of what I don't know. But it was special. When finally Luke pulled his head back, he put his hand on my shoulder. "Gotta go. Jack wants meto help him program something on his computer."

"Bye, Lukey," I said softly.

"See ya soon!"