Chapter 9

Luke's POV

"Erika, there's something I need to show you," I said. I sat down on the bed and lifted up my pants leg, revealing my prosthetic leg. "I have a prosthetic leg. I know now you'll want to dump me." Erika looked at my leg.

"No, Luke," she said gently. "I love you either way. Real leg or fake leg, I'll always love you." I looked into her chocolate brown eyes.

"You mean that?"

"Yeah," she said. "I love you, Luke."

"I love you too," I said, enveloping her in a hug.

"Sappiest moment ever," I heard Erika mutter. I laughed. But she pulled back a moment later, a worried expression on her face.

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked. She shook her head.

"Nothing, it's just...how are you going to tell everyone else at school?" I hadn't thought of this.

"I don't know. I mean, at my old school I was bullied for it, you know? I don't want it to end up like that here."

"But you need to tell everybody, Luke. You can't keep it a secret."

"I know. Heck, I'll wear shorts to school tomorrow."

"You're serious?" She asked.

"Yes, I am. People have got to know."

"I'm proud of you, Luke. It takes a real man to sport a prosthetic leg and also to show it to his girlfriend." I glanced at my watch.

"It's almost ten. You know how there's rules about girls and boys spending the night together." I didn't really mean to, but I wiggled my eyebrows.

"Luke!" She squealed, slapping my arm.

"Oww," I said, pretending to be hurt. "You hurt me, Erika."

"I'm sorry, Lukey," she said sympathetically, playing along. "How can I make it up to you?"

"Well," I said, looking at her with wide eyes, "you can kiss the wound..." Erika rolled her eyes.

"Luke, I am not kissing your arm."

"But ya could."

"Fine." She bent over and kissed where she had slapped my arm. "Happy now?" I grinned.

"Very."

"I'm gonna go now Luke," she said. I bent down and held her by her waist. She put her arms around my neck and we kissed. We were interrupted by Jack, who appeared out of nowhere.

"Woah! Get a room!" He joked.

"We had one, before you barged in," I replied.

"Three's company," he said.

"Three's a crowd," I shot back.

"Whatever. See ya, Erika."

"Bye, Jack!" She said cheerfully as she left. Man, I thought, I have the sweetest girlfriend in the world.