Chapter 8

Luke's POV

Last time you heard from me I told you that I had only one real leg. Well, this is true. One of my legs is a prosthetic leg. Whole leg, up and down. I was hiding it from my classmates and everyone. Nobody could know this secret.

I was sitting alone in my room. Jack was at football practice, and there was still an hour until dinner. I picked up my guitar and played my favorite song of all time, "I Want" by One Direction. I know, I know! It's a girl song. I'm not even a fan of One Direction, bug one day I heard that song on the radio and immediately I wanted to play it, to sing it. One Direction sings it, and they're boys, so it's not THAT bad, right?

I was singing my favorite song, when all of a sudden someone knocked on my door. I dropped my guitar and opened it. Standing there was a tall guy with a muscular build with curly brown hair and skin the color of milky coffee.I recognized him in an instant - it was Francisco, quarterback for the school's football team.

"Luke Kennedy, right?" He said.

"Yeah. Nice to finally meet you. I've seen you in the halls, and, you know." I scratched my neck and looked at the ground. I felt so dumb. Francisco was a popular guy and the best athlete in the school. If I acted stupid in front of him, that could destroy my social life!

"Luke, I saw you run during PE. You're a champ. You ever play football?"

"Yeah. It's a great sport."

"Luke, I heard from Jack that you are good. Coach says he's seen you play football. So we'd like to offer you a free space on the team. You don't even have to try out."I contemplated this for a moment. This was a terrific offer. But I couldn't be on any sports teams.

"Sorry, Francisco, but I can't. I just can't."

"Dude, I'm making you an offer you can't refuse."

"Um, I just...have no time. You know, with school and studying and all. I'm sorry. I'd really like to do it but I just can't."

"Fine...if that's what you want." Francisco's words left me crestfallen.

"Francisco, are you missing practice right now?"

"Yep. Gotta go. See you." As he walked away, I felt like someone had put a spear in my heart.

Erika's POV

I knew something was up with Luke. He wasn't himself lately. He was hiding something from me, but what? I feverishly rubbed my forehead as I tried to solve a math problem. I pressed so hard with my pencil that the point snapped. "Just great," I muttered as I threw the pencil onto the floor. Then my phone rang. I recognized my ringtone, "I Want" by One Direction. I don't even like One Direction, but I *love* that song. I hummed along before I answered. Turns out it was just someone trying to sell me insurance! Why on Earth would a fifteen year old need insurance?! Especially if she goes to boarding school!

I hung up on the stupid telemarketer and looked at the picture on my phone. It was of Luke and me, his perfect face next to mine. I like him a lot, I thought, but why is he keeping something from me?