Tom Riddle x Reader - Arranged Marriage

You had known, almost your whole life, that you were going to have an arranged marriage. That's just the way it was in your family, and all pure blood families that cared about blood purity for that matter. There was no room for compromises of the bloodline. Even though you had known this forever, when your mother let you know that she was going to start talking to other pure blood families she knew to see if anyone had a son your age, you felt sick. There was no room for love in status.

You trudged down the stairs on December 23rd and into the library where your mother was reading her letters. She smiled at you as you came in and set her letters down, gesturing for you to sit next to her.

"Good news," She clapped her hands together in excitement. "The Gaunts have a son your age," You cocked your brow and searched your head for the name Gaunt. It didn't ring any bells and you sighed. You were going to marry someone you hadn't even heard of before. Your mother rubbed your shoulder comfortingly. Even though she had been the one to force this upon you, she had sympathy as her marriage to your father had been arranged. "They will be visiting us tomorrow, they want to meet you before they agree to marry their son to you," she explained and adjusted her reading glasses. "So be on your be-"

"Best behaviour, yeah I know," you interrupted and rolled your eyes. Why did you have to behave in order to get into a marriage you didn't even want? She smiled at you weakly and turned back to her letters. You turned and left the room and trudged back up the stairs. You collapsed onto your bed and groaned. Your friend, Margaret Chambers was in the year above you in school and had already had her marriage arranged. You had felt so sorry for her as her future husband was a vile creature named Ernest Green. He was a complete git and full of himself. He had even bullied Margaret in 1st and 2nd year. He wasn't even good looking or terribly intelligent. You hoped to Merlin that the Gaunt's son wasn't like Green.

You went to sleep that night, lightly nauseous and scared for the day to come. You had no idea what to expect. You woke up that morning to your mother shaking you awake.

"The Gaunt's will be here in two hours," she told you. She gave you a look that told you that you had to look your best by that time. You nodded tiredly and propped yourself up into a sitting position. Your mum walked out to allow you to start getting ready. You rubbed your eyes and got out of bed, heading to the shower. You had clearly slept in quite significantly.

You showered and styled your hair. You didn't know what you were going to wear so you did subtle makeup. This would allow it to go with any dress you chose. Your stomach was doing backflips, you were about to potentially meet your future husband and you had no idea what to expect. You remembered your mum telling you that they were a family of proud Slytherins, so you looked through your wardrobe until you found your dark green velvet gown. It fit your body perfectly as you put it on and you sighed, smoothing it out and looking in the mirror. You looked good but you wondered if looking bad could have got you out of this arranged marriage business. You put on a pair of heels and made your way cautiously down the stairs, not used to walking in heels. Your parents were also dressed to the nines and seemed as nervous as you were. You rolled your eyes, what did they have to be nervous about? You huffed and sat down on the sofa, blowing a strand of hair out of your face. Your mother looked at you disapprovingly. You sighed and straightened your back, adjusting your hair with your hands.

Only a few more excruciatingly nerve wracking minutes passed by before the doorbell rang and a house elf scurried across the floor to open it. Your parents tried to look as effortless as possible and went to greet the family. To your surprise they told you to wait where you were. You heard the door open and a gruff voice greeting your parents. You tried to peek around the wall to catch a glimpse of them but you couldn't do so without being seen. You heard a few exchanges of words and then foot steps approaching. You straightened up and tried to muster your most charming smile. Your parents came first, followed by a much older man who eyed you critically. He has wearing an old moth-eaten suit and had a severe look on his face. You tried to smile as charmingly as possible.