Red and Black

The schoolboys lined up at the barricade, silent, for their grief over losing Eponine was still heavy. They now realize that not all of them will live until dawn. Suddenly they see Gavroche on the other side of the barricade, collecting bullets. Combeferre cries out, but it is too late. The soldiers have seen him. A shot rings out. Everyone holds their breath. Then the ever resilient street urchin scrambles over the top of the barricade, grinning. The treacherous swine had missed his target.  A battle cry rings through the cold air, and the resistance fires as one. Soldiers are falling left and right. The people of Paris, seeing a chance at victory, storm the streets, some armed, some not. The king’s army does not stand a chance. The battle is over in a matter of seconds. Enjolras, smiling for the first time in days, glances around him. All of his men are accounted for. Wait… where is Grantaire?!? A shot is heard, and Enjolras whips towards the sound, terrified at what he might see. But there is Grantaire, standing over the body of the man who had tried to escape.  Enjolras rushes over and embraces him. They hold each other for a minute, far beyond thrilled that they have both survived this horrifying night. Marius taps Enjolras on the shoulder, and hands him their battered flag.

      Gripping it, he climbs to the top of the barricade, where he shouts at the top of his voice “VIVE LA REPUBLIQUE!” And thrusts their banner in the air.

      The mob cheered, for now they have a chance to be free. The boys of d’ABC climb to his side. 

      Grantaire, for once sober, shouts “RED! The blood of angry men!”  

      The rest of the boys join in on “BLACK! The dark of ages past!”

      The crowd joins them. “RED! A world about to dawn! BLACK! A night that ends at last!”

      The people of France hoist the boys on their shoulders, for they are heroes now. They carry them through the streets of France, still singing, tear running down their faces. The question ‘do you hear the people sing?’ is no longer relevant. They say that their voices could be heard all around the world that night.