Chapter 8: Livadora

"Ok so I just go inside and start thinking about getting my father back right? It won't hurt right? You've really done this before right? You know I believed every word you said without any doubt". She gave me a look that I could now see clearly under the light streaming from the street lamp. "Did anyone ever say that you talk too much? It won't hurt. Just do as I tell you and you'll be alright." She looked at me seriously and I knew that it was time to get down to business. I took a second to think about what I'm about to do. I'm going to walk into the space inside the tape that clearly says DO NOT CROSS on it, go to an alternate earth and find my father and in the process her brother as well. OK. What the heck am I doing? I let out a little laugh and Sydney started looking at me weird. "OK. I'm going now. I won't get sucked into the wrong place right?" She smiled for the first time since we met, which was like an hour ago. If not for her messed up hair and her bare feet, she would look like a model for abercrombie or something. "I don't think that's possible." She told me. Yeah, and going into an alternate dimension is right? I thought to myself.

I walked in and nothing happened. I started walking around. I started to hop around a little, maybe it needed a little push. After five minutes I started to think that maybe the story that my dad told me that day was actually just made up and it's totally coincidental that this girl is talking about something similar to it. I sighed. It wasn't going to work if I think I like this. I have to think about something else. "What did you want to find?" When I asked her she was just staring at me. I guess she didn't want to miss the part where I disappeared. She looked at me sideways, as if she was trying to figure out if I was really still standing here or whether it's just her eyes playing tricks on her. She just kept silent. God, this is the craziest situation I have ever been in. I started to stare at her a bit too. I wondered how her brother would look in real life. How would he be in person? I want to meet him at least once over there, in the world where I'm going to find my father. Suddenly, I felt my insides twist just like the way I felt in one of those high speed roller coasters. I felt a little lighter and my skin prickled. "Hey Sydney, I'm feeling kind of weird. Is it ok to feel like this?" She started walking a few feet back. She looked a little relaxed but her shoulders were still tense. "When my husband died I needed to find a reason to live again. I'm sorry I'm making you go through this. But it can't be anyone else. After all, your mothe-"Whatever she said next was inaudible to me. She turned around and started walking away. What the fudge? What does she mean by that? Is my-

*Blink*

***

"Daddy where are we going?" the little girl asked her father. "Somewhere safe. Daddy is busy right now, so don't say anything for a while ok?" The girl obeyed. "That's my girl." Said the father. He was driving a litle over the speed limit. With his right hand still on the wheel, he reached for his phone with the left and started calling someone. "Hey, I'm in a situation. She found out. They're going to come for her. They probably knew the minute she saw me. That's just like them. Those-" He started saying some words that weren't meant to be used in front of children. Luckily the girl didn't know what any of those words meant, and more than the words he was using, she was thinking about his tone of speech.Why does dady sound so scared?. "We'll meet at that place and do it according to how we planned. Alright." And he hung up without saying goodbye. The next hour went by fast, probably because the little girl fell asleep. It was past a good girls bed time after all. She woke up when the car came to a stop with a jerk. The passenger door opened and the father lifted his daughter out of the car. She was too tired to say anything about the cold. The place looked deserted and it was too dark to make out anything. There was the sound of another car and the opening of a door. The sound of footsteps came closer and closer until it was just inches away. "Are you ok?" A woman said. "Yes, I'm alright. Take her. I'll take care of everything else. Only contact me if you really need to." The father handed his daughter to the lady. He took his daughter's hand and gave it a little squeeze. "You be a good girl for me. We'll see each other soon ok?" He kissed her forehead and started to walk away towards his car. Soon he was driving away. The lady was standing with the girl in her hands. Soon she walked towards the car and after buckling herself and the girl up, she drove away in the opposite direction. The girl kept wondering, where is Daddy going?