Running free for a little while

My head was still spinning as the meeting broke up, and all I could think about was getting away. But I'd gotten no further than two steps before Samuel grabbed my arm. "Where the hell do you think you're going?" he snapped.

I stared up at him, unable to formulate a coherent answer. That was the moment Ethan rescued me. "Leave her be," he said. "The Alpha needs time with his mate. When he's ready, he'll summon the Luna."

Samuel glowered, but let me go, and Ethan turned to me with sympathy in his eyes. It was a surprising sight, but a comforting one as well, and I got the distinct impression he was on my side. Why, I had no idea. But as I looked up into his dark golden eyes, I felt at peace again. "Thanks," I said. "Oh God. What the hell am I going to do?"

Ethan took my arm and led me outside. "Let's shift and go for a run," he suggested. 

My face lit up, and I heard Kira yip in excitement. 'It's about bloody time!' she said, and I had to giggle. The giggle turned to a laugh at Ethan's confused face. "Kira's got cabin fever," I said, and Ethan shook his head in amusement as I concentrated on shifting for the first time in months. Admittedly, it did hurt like hell, but Dad had told me that once you got the hang of shifting, it was like riding a bike; you never forgot how to do it, even if you went months without shifting. In short order, the pain passed, and I shook my fur out when the transition was done. 'Yeah, it was way past time,' I agreed. 

Ethan stared at me in some surprise, before a smile crossed his face

Ethan stared at me in some surprise, before a smile crossed his face. "You're actually quite beautiful," he said, and though I had a face full of fur, I still felt a blush, and I nipped gently at his hand. 'Oh hush,' I said, and he chuckled.

But when he shifted, my eyes widened. He was gorgeous!

He turned to look at me, and though I was soon to be Luna, I bowed my head in respect

He turned to look at me, and though I was soon to be Luna, I bowed my head in respect. 'Lead the way,' I said, and he nodded, before loping across the pasture. I fell into step beside him, my heart singing as I felt the earth under my paws, the wind gently ruffling my fur. Sounds and smells I'd missed for months exploded across my senses, and for the first time since the disastrous battle at Stonehenge, I felt free. This was what I was meant for.