Fixing roofs

It took us all day to get the roof fixed, but though we were all tired and sweating, we felt accomplished as we admired our handiwork. To be sure, we all had splinters in our hands, and I was sure we were all aching in places we didn't think possible, but it felt good to have done something with our hands. "Looks good," Shannon said, putting an arm around my shoulders, and I smiled up at him. He smiled back and kissed me on the forehead. 

"It looks amazing," Barry agreed, and we all concurred

"You actually did something worthwhile for a change."

We all turned, and my heart sank. 

Simon stood there, arms folded, his face wearing an expression of what could only be described as disappointment

Simon stood there, arms folded, his face wearing an expression of what could only be described as disappointment. "I thought I could trust you to do well," he said. "I guess I was wrong."

Robert stepped forward. "Forgiveness, Alpha Simon," he said, bowing his head. "We didn't know you'd be coming back so soon."

Simon raised an eyebrow. "I was only gone for two days," he said. "You didn't think I'd spend any longer with those rogue packs than necessary?"

My friends shared confused looks. Simon sighed. "I'm trying to get more packs on my side so we can finally finish the scattered remnants of those whom we destroyed at Stonehenge," he said, and my heart sank even further, right to the bottom of my toes. I'd been so happy in the last twenty-four hours that I'd completely forgotten about Doreah and her allies in Reading. I kept my face very still; I didn't want Simon suspecting I still fretted for my sister. 

His gaze swung to me. "And don't think I forgot about your stunts," he said coldly. "You're fortunate I need you alive. Otherwise I'd tear your throat out for your insubordination. You can hate me all you want, but never, ever let me catch you mouthing off to any male in this pack the way you did to James. You're lucky a demotion is all you got."

He turned to face us all again. "You're all lucky," he said. "I've called a meeting for a months' time. You've got that long to get this place in order. And since you're not quite getting the message, I'm going to make you swear yourselves to me." He smiled thinly. "You think Samuel is bad? I'm worse. Much worse."

Dead silence reigned, and for a moment, I wondered if Ethan had betrayed us. But when I reached out to him, I felt confusion and anger, and a mounting disappointment directed at James of all people. My own anger rose in response, but I withdrew from Ethan's mind before he could feel it. At least I knew he meant what he'd said this morning, and I took a small grain of comfort from that fact. 

Simon spoke again. "Tonight is a full moon," he said. "You will all swear to me  then. And by all the gods of wood and sea, you will do all I command, and you will do it well. No more slacking off, or wolves will start dying." Then he turned on his heel and stalked off. I shivered, rubbing my arms to try and get rid of the goosebumps, to no avail. Shannon put his arms around me and held me close. 

"There goes our freedom," Asher said, swallowing

"There goes our freedom," Asher said, swallowing. I didn't blame him.

"How screwed are we?" Barry asked, and they all looked at me. 

It was my turn to shiver. I knew Simon best out of anyone, and I didn't like what I knew. "He's a monster," I said. 

No more words were needed, and Shannon tightened his hold on me. I pressed myself as close to him as I could, wishing I could just disappear into him and never come out again. If his tight grasp was any indication, he felt the same. 

Aisling took a deep breath. "Then we stick together," she said quietly. She gave me a faint smile. "If we can do that, then Simon can't control us entirely."

We all looked up at the sky. It was just starting to grow dark, and the moon was already a pale bubble at the edge of the valley. By the time it was fully dark, we'd all be sworn to Simon, and I swallowed. "Then we'd better take what time we've got," I said. "Otherwise, he's going to use that oath to do things I'd rather not mention in polite company."

"Yuck," Aoife groaned, but she knew I was right

"Yuck," Aoife groaned, but she knew I was right. "Right, let's get a bit of dinner on and go hide at the pool. I'm not going anywhere near that bastard until we absolutely have to."

"Good idea," I said fervently.