Chapter 9: A little help from your friends

"You need to work hard to get what you want."
Taka Komori, a stern woman, told her daughter.

"And without hard work you won't get anywhere. No career, no job, no family."

"What about friendship. And love..?"
Twelve year old Kinoko asked.

"Love ties in with family. Take your mom and I for example. If we didn't put in the effort and work into our relationship, we most likely wouldn't be together now. But you are far too young for love my little spore."
She ruffled her daughters hair.

"Just focus on what's important."

"Being a hero?"
Kinoko asked excitedly.

"Well, if you put in effort, then yes. You can be a hero."

                                          ...

"KINOKO KOMORI. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!"

Kinoko groaned and bonked her head on the table in her room. Maybe putting her mother on speaker was not the brightest idea.

"Mother! Sensei Kan said I was going to be fine!"
She replied.

"Being last place in your class is HORRID. I expected better from you! Especially with your past grades!"

"Mother- it's based on-"

"I don't CARE! I expected better of you, Kinoko. I'm disappointed. Do better."

Taka hung up. Kinoko hesitated, then threw her phone onto her bed. As much as she loved her mom, she could be harsh. A little too much sometimes. There had been times where she cried herself to sleep because she couldn't live up to her mother's expectations. Taka Komori. A woman who always worked hard. She had no quirk, but she held power within the accounting department. The first time Kinoko told her moms that she wanted to be a hero, Taka immediately got frustrated, telling her she wasn't strong enough. Gen on the other hand was supportive of her child's career choice and did everything to convince her wife to allow Kinoko to dream. It took a few years until Taka came around, but that didn't mean she wasn't cautious, yet strict on what her daughter could do. It wasn't easy, but the day she got her acceptance letter from UA, she saw a new look in her mother's eyes. No longer cold, now fearful and worrisome. 

Kinoko's phone suddenly buzzed. She took a deep breath and reached over to grab it. It was a text from Tsuburaba. She raised an eyebrow since the two of them barely interacted when school wasn't in session. This must have been very important for him to have reached out to her. Komori unlocked her phone and clicked on the message board. Only two words were sent. Help me. And a location was underneath it.

...

"Tsuburaba!"
Kinoko cried out. It was the hottest time of the day and Komori ran as fast as her legs could take her. She was NOT a runner at all. The rays of sun on her skin didn't help at all. She took a quick glance at her phone. She was close to the sent location: the mall. She had heard stories about 1-A's Deku, who allegedly was approached by Tomura Shigaraki, the leader of the dreaded League Of Villains. Komori hoped Kosai didn't get into trouble with them, or any villain for the matter of fact.

A wave of relief hit when she saw her fellow classmate standing at the front gate unharmed.

"Komori-chan! Glad you got my text!"
The boy beamed.

"What happened? Are you okay?"
She panicked, examining her classmate for wounds.

"You sound like Kendo. I'm fine. But I do need some help.."
Kosai replied.

"Oh? Did you get in trouble with Sensei?"
Komori asked.

"No, no. Well..not this time."
He put his hand on his neck and took a deep breath.

"I need help asking Tsuyu Asui out."

Both teens stood in silence for a second.

"You..like..-"

"Oh jeez I'm sorry if I scared you!! I'm kinda nervous here and I don't know what to do! You seemed like the perfect choice!!"

"Tsuburaba I'm honoured!!"
The girl squealed as she hugged her friend.

"Okay shroom I think I know how to help!! Follow me!!"

She grabbed his arm and there they went. The two brunettes chattered away while they shopped.

...

An hour later, both students waited in the food court, sipping boba. Kosai held a medium sized frog plush that had a bow tie covered in mushroom decals (Kinoko's idea.) Unexpectedly two fellow UA students walked through the food court, at the opposite side of the room. Tokoyami and Asui.

"Hey! Look!"
Kinoko pointed out. Kosai turned around and locked eyes with the frog-faced girl. His face turned red and he turned back to face Komori.

"I can't do it. It's too stressful!"
The boy hid his face into the stuffy. Komori huffed and hollered Tsu's name. Both animal-appearance teens walked over.

"Hey, ribbit. I wasn't expecting you both to be here."
Asui beamed.

"Uh- hey..Asui."
Kosai replied. Tokoyami stood still, almost like he was judging them all.

Kinoko nudged Tsuburaba's arm.

"Please, call me Tsu."

"Okay. Tsu..um..would you.."

"Yes, ribbit?"

"Would you like to maybe..go out..with me?"

Kosai held the frog out to her. She gracefully accepted.

"Sure, ribbit."

"Wait really???"
His eyes widened with excitement.

"I'd love to go out as friends!"

And a little part of Kosai Tsuburaba's soul crushed that day.

"Oh..I thought we could go out..on a date.."

He shot a quick glance at Tokoyami.

"OH ARE YOU TWO A COUPLE-? IM SO SORRY!"

"No, we are not."
Tokoyami shook his head.

"Tsuburaba, you are a cool guy, ribbit, but I like women."
Tsu explained.

"Oh. OH."
Kosai mentally slapped himself.

"But we can still be friends! That is if you want to, ribbit."

"I'd actually like that.."
He chuckled, still feeling awkward and embarrassed about what just happened.

"How about tea later?"
Tsu asked him.

"Uh..sure-"

"I'll buy since you got me this cute little guy!!"
She hugged the frog. Eventually the two of them wandered off, starting the beginning of this new found friendship.

Only Komori and Tokoyami were left. He broke the awkwardly silence.

"Did Kuroiro ask you out yet?"

**Admin note!!! Well guys! Another chapter done! I was on vacation so I couldn't write much. I wanna thank you all for over 1k view! It makes me so happy people like this story!**