vingt-six.

twenty six: godparents

"adelin elizabeth hemmings," the vice principal read adelin's name into the microphone as she walked across the stage praying to the universe she wouldn't fall.

she didn't, thankfully. she shook the principal's hand and took her diploma and waited next to the stage for her brother, despite some administrator urging her to move along.

"luke robert hemmings." adelin teared up a little as her brother receiver his diploma and shook the principal's hand.

as soon as luke walked off the stage she tackled him into a hug. "we did it, big brother," she whispered. "i'm so proud of us."

the siblings decided to wait for calum as well, which turned into the three of them waiting for mason and then all four of them waiting for ashton. they figured they already graduated, they couldn't really get it any trouble, even though they were receiving glares from passing students and the school administration on the stage.

"i cant believe all of you guys got to sit next to each other," michael pouted after the ceremony. "i was so bored. i think i need change my last name. luke, will you marry me?"

luke fake gasped, "michael, i thought you'd never ask."

"did you just propose to luke right in front of me?" mason pretended to be angry and crossed her arms. "you do know my last name is hughes, right?"

"well, i had to catch your attention somehow," michael flirted as he kissed her cheek. "i like to keep you on your toes, you know."

"oh, i see mali and beck," calum laced his fingers with adelin's as he led her through the crowd of people trying to find their families.

"congratulations!" mali cheered as she squeezed calum. "i'm so proud of you, calum. i'm so proud of you."

"mali, if you cry i'll cry," calum groaned, wiping the tears off his sister's face.

"congrats, guys," beck said to each of them as calum grabbed baby david from him.

mali pulled adelin in for a hug as well, making sure to tell her how proud she was of her. it was the first time adelin had ever heard that from anyone that wasn't luke or calum and she couldn't help but get a little choked up.

adelin felt someone poke her shoulder. she spun around to be met with her parents, who she hadn't spoken to in almost two weeks. to her surprise, her father wrapped her in a hug. "congratulations, addy," her father whispered so only she could hear.

"thanks, dad," she spoke into his chest.

"congratulations, adelin," her mother said coldly.

adelin just nodded in lieu of a thank you. she didn't care to speak to them anymore, because they couldn't bother to side aside their feelings towards her and calum on such an important day for them. after taking several pictures with her friends and some awkward ones with her family, adelin left with calum to go home and change before mason's graduation party.

but just as adelin was all ready to walk out the door with luke and calum, her phone rang with a call from ashton.

"hey, ash," she greeted him. "are you there yet? we're about to leave."

"well, funny story," ashton chuckled. "i'm actually on the way to the hospital, because sarah is currently in labor."

"oh, my god," she put the phone on speaker, catching luke and calum's attention.

"yeah, apparently it started this morning and she didn't want me to miss graduation so she's just been going through it by herself all day," ashton sighed. "i'm on the way to the hospital now."