Part 14: Going Far

"So what's the plan now?" James asked her. She didn't miss the hint of sarcasm, choosing instead to ignore it.

"We still need to get to Vienna right?"

They were huddled under the overhang of a gas station. Rain falling from the sky in heavy sheets. Gathering in deep lagoons along the drains in the tarmac. The fluorescent lights above catching in the shadowy water and lighting it up like the glistening blades of her daggers.

"Yes." Bucky answered eventually, barely audible over the whizz of the distant highway. 

They had climbed off the truck when it pulled into the station to get gas after a few hours of silent travelling. Alex could see the vehicle manoeuvring out of the entrance and back into the rainy highway. 

"But Hydra knows about us now?" She asked, turning to face Barnes. He looked staunchly ahead, unblinking. 

A drop of rain trickled down the side of his face. It had started raining minutes before the truck, fortunately, pulled off. However, the rain was heavy enough that they had been drenched while dashing to shelter. 

"It would appear so." He deadpanned.

"Don't be a smart ass." She quipped. They were both wet and cranky, she just seemed to be the only one who wanted to do something about it. 

He snorted. Looking towards the brightly lit convenience store and mumbling, "you're one to talk."

"Are you seriously pissed at me?" She stepped around him so he had no choice but to face her. "This isn't my fault."

He looked down at her, folding his arms and sighing. "Well let's see now." He counted on his darkened metal fingers, his gloves lost to the highway. "One of us crashed the motor cycle, our only means of transport. One of us just had to take things into their own hands and ruin the mission. One of us was hungry and hopped off the truck. One of us-"

"So you're sour and an asshole?" She scoffed, stormed away from him and into the darkening rain.

"Where the hell are you going?"He caught up to her quickly, grabbing her arm and swinging her to face him. Heavy raindrops stinging as they met her skin. 

She gritted her teeth and shook him off.  "To find somewhere to stay." The rain had already seeped into her clothes, pasting them and her hair to her chilled skin. "You can stay behind to mope or you can come with me and help solve the problem we both cause." Setting her jaw she looked up and poked him in the chest. "You stopped the car." Poke.  "You froze," poke,  "and you are the one who dragged me out here in the first place." She went to poke him again but he grabbed her hand. Crushing it in his rough, warm grasp. 

"Don't you dare." He started, icy blue eyes burning into hers. Water trickling down his face. 

She scoffed, yanking her hand out of his. Cold air replacing his warmth as she stepped back. "I'm done with this." She turned and started walking away. Wiping the water out of her eyes on her sopping sleeve and folding her arms against her damp chest.

Behind her, Bucky's brows furrowed as he looked from his now empty hand to her. Taking a step towards her he called, "What?"

"Talking to you." She grumbled, rolling her eyes and facing him. She ran a hand over her face, snarling, "your hero complex can't deal with the fact that you fucked up too and the bad guy helped instead of just setting shit on fire."

Barnes grumbled something. The distant cars and hurtling rain swallowing up his words

"What?" She spat. Fed up with this, with him, with the rain and the world being a pile of shit.