Part 20: Treading Lightly

Something stirred Alex from her sleep. She rolled over, groaning. Rubbing her face, lazing in that hazy place between waking and sleeping.

Then she registered the dampness on her forehead.

Blood.

She immediately thought it was blood.

Sitting up and rubbing her hands down her face, scrubbing her fer forehead to get rid of it. Fingers frantic to wipe her body clean.

Only for them to come back clean.

She held her trembling hands in front of her.

Just sweat.

She was sweating.

And shivering.

Her chest was tight and throbbing, joints ached and barked. She curled into herself, trembling, groaning slightly.

Rather, she tried to curl into herself.

But her legs refused to move.

It was like they weren't even there.

She threw back the covers and switched on the bedside lamp.

Her legs were stretched out in front of her. Her sweaty skin glistening in the yellowed light.

But completely still.

Her chest began rising and falling in rapid movements, her body unable to gulp down enough air. She ran her hands down her thighs and tried, and tried but her legs stayed frozen in position.

Paralysed.

She was paralysed.

She couldn't take in enough air.

Her heart was thundering, pounding.

Her thoughts were coming fast and irregularly. Her mind unable to keep up with the scene in front of her.

She wasn't entirely sure how it happened. One minute she was reaching for her backpack, not sure why. Needing to do something.

Then she was falling.

Tumbling onto the carpeted floor in a ploom of white sheets, hitting the carpet with a thud. Her shoulder slammed into the ground, catching the weight of her whole body.

She tried to sit up but her shaking elbows gave out and she fell back down, head knocking against the bed frame.

Her legs refusing to budge. Lifting up a hand she found her fingers tremoring, quaking.

Her stomach churned. Her skin boiled. Her head swam.

All she could think was;

This is it.

I'm dying

I'm dying

I'm dying all alone.

"Lex?"

A hand tapped her shoulder.

"Alex?"

She groaned, rolling over and pulling a pillow over her head.

Something horrid burned in the back of her throat, making her tongue thick and acrid.

"Alex, get up."