Chapter 2 ~The Incomer

Suddenly there came a rumble, a deep, loud roar of an thunderous engine, so loud and deafening almost everyone had to cover there ears. Jarni held her ears with a tight grip and cringed. She opened her eyes to see what was making the deafening sound.

       A large tank appeared from the small dot in the far view and rolled it's way through their fields. Jarni had to run to get out of the way of the tank and looked all around for her grandfather. She wanted to make sure her grandfather was safe on one of the sides people stood to get out of the way and far away from the dangerous tank.

       Many people who used to be Archex's citizens were killed in tank accidents. Tanks may appear bulky and hard to move, but in reality tanks are fast moving and dangerous types of transportation. At least this stands about tanks made in Rrannan, provided to soldiers and military leaders by Isaai. They were modified to move extremely fast and demolish everything standing in it's way.

        When the truck moved out of the way, Jarni found her grandfather on the other side of the road with Mrs. Refer, both of them talking while the dangerous tank passed by. They seemed to not be hurt or afraid of the tank so Jarni turned to an aged man near her and tapped him.

       "Excuse me sir, but what is that? Why did they send a tank to the fields?"

       The man put his hand on Jarni's shoulder, turned her and pointed to the beyond.

      "Well miss, they need more space for a family-in-making in the sixth corner, and they want relatives to live close to each other. So they are gonna move another family to another corner; this one, because we have more space. See? Well this is new, the last time I saw this happen I was just a small young boy."

        Jarni saw the tank move farther into the town, and even farther. She was more than curious to see where they were going to live now, but it was going to have to wait until they let the people break out for lunch. She went across the road to where her grandfather and Mrs. Refer were.

        "Hello Mrs. Refer, hello Papa. Are you both alright?" Jarni inspected both adults to make sure they were just fine.

       Mrs. Refer waves her hands around while explaining, "Well, of course Jarni, we're alright. Don't you worry about us, we were far from the tank. And what do you know, looks like you have new neighbors. I urge you to go and meet them, they're gonna need some welcoming hands."

       Jarni's grandfather switched from Mrs. Refer's arm to Jarni's. He patted Jarni's arm and spoke,

       "Jarni dear, I'm perfectly fine. Thank you for thinking about me, but we need to get back to work, the soldiers..."

     Just then a soldier that stood on top of a watch-tower with a megaphone turned it on and released screeching and sharp noise into the field. Then he pulled the megaphone to his mouth and yelled into it, even though it was clear that megaphone was not needed.

     "LISTEN UP DOGS! YOU ALL GET BACK TO WORK, YOU'VE GOT TWO MORE HOURS TILL YOU ACTUALLY GET A BREAK! NOW YA'LL GET BACK DOWN TO WORK AND DONT LET ME CATCH ONE OF YOU RESTING OR I'LL GIVE YOU SEVEN FULL LASHES! GET WORKING NOW!"

       Everyone got back to work and kept digging, but even when doing work, Jarni kept gazing toward the town. She was curious to find out who moved there, and if they were good people. She wanted to know who they were and welcome them in, but there were two hours before she could find out who was moved.

        She kept working under the blazing sun right next to her grandfather and Mrs. Refer. They talked a little while working so that the soldiers wouldn't see and punish them. The three people became good acquaintances and found a very fine relationship between each other.