Chapter 5 ~Company

Jarni's spirit glowed just a bit. The corners of her mouth lifted up, ever so slowly. Never before in her life had she heard such  meaningful words. No one has ever said anything that made her feel valued. No one has ever told her she was not a monster. This was one of the first times someone told her that she is valued as a human being. This was incredibly important to her.

           Guy smiled as well. The first time he smiled. He went back to his digging position, and they settled digging. They continued their work when a soldier grabbed Guy by his hair, yanking him up.

        "What do you think you're doin' dog?! Why you talkin' when you should be workin' your damn spine to dust?! You wanna find out what happens to those who disobey?! I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT HAPPENS YOU WORTHLESS PIECES OF-!"

        The soldier lifted his whip and got ready to hit the boy with all he had. Jarni, concerned this boy could not with stand this pain, covered him to take the lash on her arm. She took another one on her back, and told the boy,

         "Run now! RUN GUY!" Guy ran from under her to grab their shovels, and then he grabbed her by her hand to run. They both ran as far away from the soldier as possible, in fear. Jarni grabbed her wound, and held in all the stinging pain. Guy

        "Nice escaping. You run well mister, Guy. That fat moron couldn't stand a chance."

        Guy smirked a bit, but quickly handed her a shovel so they could continue to dig.

        "Soldiers tend to do that a lot. Especially on our side of the mine fields. We're dumb as hell they say, but it's really them. They're damn harsh to everyone, especially elders, like my Papa. Papa has been here and workin' for as long as I can remember..."

        They dug there for an hour, Jarni talking, while Guy listened. She jabbered on about her life, and all the almost interesting things she has. She talked about her family, Papa, all the way to the last person she met who was nice to her, Mrs. Refer. She talked through joy and pain, and she described almost her whole life. Almost everything.

        Guy listened to every word she said, enchanted by her emotions. He understood all she tried to say to him. Both surprisingly had made a strong connection. She chatted until the bell for lunch rang. They both looked alarmed, and both looked at each other. Both felt a small sadness, since it was the first time in their lives they actually had a friend to talk to and call their own.

         "I guess you're leavin' now huh. Alright Guy, it was nice to see you, and to meet you. You ain't such a bad guy after all."

         Jarni, now knowing he respects personal space, turns around to leave, but he quickly touches her arm. He stepped in front of her and waited, but Jarni became more than confused.

        "Um, Guy, I needa get home, it's lunch time. I need to go see my Papa and eat lunch with him."

        Guy nodded and picked up his shovel, but stayed close to Jarni, holding her arm. Jarni was not sure how she felt about him holding her that close. Before she could do anything, her grandfather walked right next to them.

        "Hello Jarni, are you ready to walk back home? Oh, who might you be! Are you not our new neighbor? Oh it is wonderful to get to meet you! Please, join us in lunch, you and your family. We would love to have you over!"

        Jarni smiled at her Papa, "Papa, his name is Guy. I met him yesterday."

        "So that's what you did. So how did you meet?"

         Guy quickly spoke up, "She was trying to hang with the other girls, but they were all awful and malicious so I invited her over. We met and talked, and she's absolutely stunning."