Chapter 1 | The Arrival

Sophia's POV:

It's my first day interning at Lakeheart Hospital! I'd be nervous but Olivia, my BFF, has got my back.
I shakily fidget my fingers. Just then, Olivia enters the room and I immediately stand up.
"I'm so excited, we are going to be working together!" she squeals.
"I don't know... I am a little nervous." I say, with a frown forming on my face.
Olivia puts her hand on my shoulder and comforts me, "Everything has jitters, Sophia... you'll be fine, I promise. Now, let's go."

(30 mins later) The Hospital

We arrive at Lakeheart Hospital. As soon as I enter the building, I catch the eyes of an attractive doctor at the hospital reception.

"I presume you're Sophia and Olivia..?" he asks us with a stern look.
We nod nervously, looking at each other.
"We're running late, thanks to you two." Dr. Dominic angrily strides away, leaving me feeling small and insulted.
I follow him to the conference room and spot Cooper. He waves at me.
"MOVE!! You're in my spot!" one of the female interns, shoves me away from her path. I take a quick glance at her ID...it says LEONA.
"Oi! Did you put your manners in the laundry with your old scrubs too?" Olivia strikes her.
Dr. Dominic enters the scene, "Ladies LADIES! This better not become a habit. There will be no fighting on my premises." he says pointing towards us.
As Dr. Dominic moves to the centre of the room, Leona leans in and whispers to me "You embarrassed me! You're dead meat."
"Sorry about that, Leona can be a pain the a** sometimes." Cooper smiles impishly.
Dr. Dominic clears his voice to grab our attention.
He starts speaking authoritatively, "Good morning interns! Time to be inspired! I am Dr. Dominic and my record is crystal clear, but you know that already. I have never lost a patient, and neither should you."
Dr. Dominic catches my eye again. He's definitely going to call me out... But he smiles at me instead.
"Okay, let's get you assigned to your cases... Leona? This way." He assigns cases to the interns, one by one. Soon, I'm all alone.
"I saved the best for the last. You're a chip off the old block, aren't you?" He asks me.
What on earth?! How does this guy even know me? Was he stalking me all along?
I get into my senses and ask him, "How do you know me?"
"Your mother was my mentor. You... have her eyes..." he says, with slight blush.
Oh, that makes sense... and here I was, mentally treating him like a creep. NEVER JUDGE TOO SOON.!

My thoughts vanished by a loud noise blaring over the PA system - CODE BLUE! CODE BLUE! Accident victim suffering from cardiopulmonary arrest, taken to OR-1
"Sophia, come with me!" Dr. Dominic demands, "Are you ready for your first emergency case?"
OMG, My heart's about to explode. I-I can do this. I just need to breathe...
I rush into the OR and find a horrific sight awaiting me.
"Good God!!!" I scream internally.
The patients legs are completely crushed. I wasn't prepared for this...
"His heart isn't beating, Sophia, get the defibrillator! We need to get his heart started." Dr. Dominic orders me.
He performs CPR, while I pull in the defibrillator cart.
I need to apply the cooling gel first. "I need space...SPACE!" I speak out loud.
Dr. Dominic moves, while I undress the victim and squirt on the gel.
"Good! Give the defibrillator paddles to me." He takes it from my hand and asks me to set the volts.
I hurriedly set it to 40 volts, without checking it.
"What incompetent college did you come from?!" he yells at me.
"I was in a hurry, my apologies!" I say with my head down.
Dr. Dominic walks up to the machine and sets it to 300 volts.
The victim's body begins having spasms, as the paddles discharge.
After 3 rounds straight, the heart monitor beeps again. The patient's heartbeat returns, accelerated but constant.
"We are not done just yet..." he tells me.
I stand by Dr. Dominic to assist him.
"The patient is stable, but his breathing is still shaky. He's going to choke." he informs me.
I immediately intubate the patient and his breathing gains back its usual pace.
"Good job! That should regulate his breathing." Dr. Dominic gives a pat on my shoulder and leaves.

The procedure is a success. I walk out of the Operation Theatre feeling exhausted. I look at my watch...
"Wow! It's evening already..." I say to myself.
Right then, Olivia appears in-front of me, "There you are! Good first day?"
"Let's get home, Olivia. I'm exhausted! " I grab her hand and lead her to the parking lot.
I jump right in and buckle my seatbelt. Olivia drives us back home and I immediately doze off on my bed.