Chapter 5 | Tularemia

(The Next Day)

Sophia's POV:

I wakeup to the sound of my alarm and snooze it again. I am not able to forget what happened last night. It all seems like a nightmare to me. Anyways, I hope it's gonna be a good day today. Alright, let's get ready for work.!

At The Hospital
Once I am at work, I hurriedly head to Brandon's room. The reports aren't looking great...
A loud thud announces Cooper's arrival.
"What are you doing? It's lunch time!" Cooper says.
He stares at me, " Wow, Sophia!! You look great!"
I try not to blush at his words...
He continues, "Do you know how beautiful you are, Sophia?"
"Tell me something I don't know, Cooper." I snap back, giggling.
"Why is Brandon still here, anyway? He should have been discharged by now?" Cooper asks suspiciously.
"He won't be going anywhere, actually. His reports are showing signs of a tumour.." I explain.

(10mins later)

After a heavy silence, you reach the cafeteria. Cooper is jittery, for some reason.
"Okay... Spit it out." I blurt out.
"You like all the attention I give you, don't you?" He asks me, looking into my eyes.
I smile and turn red, refusing to answer him.
I play it hard and answer, "You can be... Well... Annoying."
"And what about Dominic? Is he not annoying?" He asks, looking upset, " Bossing over everyone, flirting with the interns!"
I think to myself - Is he really?
"...Flirting with you" Cooper continues, "He's just so full of himself. It would make total sense for him to lap it up."
"No way!" I get defensive.
"You really don't think so?" asks Cooper, surprised.
"I don't think we should be discussing this. It's his life." I reply abruptly.
"Yeah. Unless..." Cooper smirks and continues, " We could follow Dominic - see what he is up to, during his break."
Oh no... I don't like where this is going...
"Don't you have anything better to do?" I ask him angrily.
"Come on, it will be fun! Like a spy mission..." Cooper pleads me.
"I just don't think it's right, Cooper." I say, concerned.
"Come on! It's good to be bad, once in a while." Cooper nudges me.
He grabs my hand and races back, up to bay area.

We spot Dominic as he leaves his office, and carefully begin to tail him.
"I feel like a real spy. Isn't this fun?" Cooper asks me, excited.
"Yeah, but we are not meant to stalk our boss." I reply, upset.
"You worry way too much!" he sighs.
I continue to creep after Dominic, when Cooper's phone buzzes.
"Aw man! They need me in the children's ward. Let me know what you see?" He pats my shoulder.
He leaves me alone to finally do what I want to. Just as I was about to leave, I hear a voice... "Hey! Dominic!"
I watch Leona run up to Dominic, looking a little flushed.
"Leona... I'm actually on my way to see a patient." Dominic tells her.
"That's okay! I can accompany you." Leona insists him.
"Well... Ofcourse, Leona. But..." Dominic continues, " Wouldn't you rather have lunch with the other interns?"
"I'm much happier spending time with you." Leona blushes.
I watch Leona touch Dominic's arm. He pauses, looking slightly uncomfortable.
Dominic speaks authoritatively, "Leona... I think we need to reiterate the rules about personal boundaries."
"It's okay... No one's around..." she replies seductively.
This is awful!!! Should I do something?
Nah.! I should wait it out. Dominic's got this!
"Leona... I'm sorry, but it's not appropriate. I don't want to have to remind you, I am your superior." He spits it out.
Leona holds back, as Dominic speeds up, to get away from her.
"Ugh! Why is he making this so hard!" She stomps the ground.
Wow... Poor Dominic. I wonder what Cooper would have to say about this?
Leona was all over him, like a rash. He looked so uncomfortable.

I return to the ward and meet my new patient and her fiancé.
I start speaking, "Your chart says you have a fever, irritability, and are sleeping 18 hours a day." I continue, " Sounds like Hypersomnia..."
"I thought you would know better!" Dominic says, disappointed.
Shoot! Dr. Dominic's here!
Dr. Dominic shakes his head in disappointment, as he stands by the door.
"Is she your patient?" I ask, sheepishly.
"No! She was an irresponsible intern's patient." He replies, looking upset.
"I am handing over this case to you." He continues, "Martha, Diabetic. Age 28. Her fiancé - George, brought her here, 3 days ago, when she couldn't get out of bed."
"It's been 3 days. What do you think?" He questions me.
"We are going to need an MRI scan." I reply, with confidence.
"Do you think it's a tumour, Doc?" George asks, worried.
"Maybe not, but we need to rule out all the possibilities." I reply, sincerely.
"Well done, Dr. Sophia. I will leave you to it." Dominic tells me.
Dr. Dominic walks away, while George confides in me about what Martha's been having.
When the MRI reports arrive later that day, they are clean. I rule out a tumour.
"George, you mentioned hallucinations. Was there anything else, about Martha, that you didn't tell me?" I enquire George.
"Well... She's become forgetful. Keeps asking the same thing, over and over again." He tells me.
I think to myself - Could this be a sleeping sickness?
I turn to Martha. She's sweating and begins to shake - she's having a seizure!
I quickly intubate her, but George is freaking out!
"What's happening to her?" George asks, worried.
"She's having a seizure." Cooper answers George.
Cooper was passing by, when he saw me. He takes over and stabilises Martha.
"Thank you, Dr. Cooper. I'm confident when I say Martha has Tularemia." I speak up.
"What's that?" asks George.
"A RARE sexually transmitted disease." answers Cooper.
"What? Shouldn't I have it too, then?" George asks, concerned.
Uh oh... Was Martha cheating on him?
Cooper realizes what I'm getting at and decides to take George for a long chat.
Atleast, we know what's wrong with her... Good thing, these symptoms are so obvious.

(The Next Day)

Dr. Dominic spots me in the general ward, "So, Dr. Sophia, any progress?"
"Martha has been diagnosed with Tularemia. She's under treatment." I reply, confidently.
"Took you 3 days to figure it out, huh?" Dr. Dominic continues, "I knew it from the start."
I am shocked, "What? You already knew?" I become upset, " Why didn't you tell me before? You risked a patient's life."
"How are you going to learn anything, if I keep giving you answers?" He asks, raising an eyebrow at me.
He's not wrong, but what he did was dangerous. He can't play with a patient's life!
I make a face and storm off.