Chapter 7 | Pep Talk

A few weeks pass, and Dominic doesn't bring up what happened.

Sophia's POV:

Today is no different. In fact, I haven't seen him at all...
Strange... Before I started here, I'd heard rumours of how he never fell sick...
I heard nurses discussing at the reception, "Hey, did you hear? Dominic lost a patient! There goes his winning streak..." they continue chatting, "The poor guy has never lost a patient before. Must have hit him hard."
Oh no! Poor Dominic.
I begin to feel anxious and need some fresh air. The news hits me hard too...
"Aw, having a rough day, Sophia?" Leona smirks at me.
I roll my eyes and brush past her, not in the mood for an exchange.
"Feisty. You should learn to be more polite to your co-workers, you know." She glares at me.
I am furious now. I don't know what to do, now that Leona is blocking my path.
I hold back and say, "Leona... I hope you enjoy the rest of your day."
"What? That's it? You are just going to walk away?" She asks, in dismay.
"I don't have the time or energy to deal with you. I'm going to go now." I reply, before I leave.

(A Week Later)

Dominic is still nowhere to be seen.
I should go check on him... My shift ends in few hours, anyway.

(Later That Evening) Dominic's Mansion
I pull-up to his driveway and knock on the door.
I try calling him, "Dominic? Are you in there?"
Dominic opens the door, his eyes are heavy and appearance disheveled.
"Oh. It's you. Go away." He blurts out.
As I was about speak, he shouts at me, "I said go away!"
But...fine. I begin to walk away, but Dominic grabs my arm.
"I am sorry, Sophia. I don't know what came over me." He says, with a frown.
"I understand. I know you are having a rough time." I empathise with him.
"Please, come in." He invites me inside.

"I can't believe I was so rude to you. I'm truly sorry." He apologises to me.
"It's alright... I was just...worried about you..." I tell him.
"You came for me?" He asks, shocked.
"Yes. But I would totally get it, if you wanted me gone..." I reply with a smile.
I hesitate. Dominic reaches for my hand.
"It's been so hard, Sophia...these past few days. I...I reallt appreciate that you came to see me." He almost tears-up and asks, "Could you stay a little longer?"
I know I can't refuse. I nod and Dominic looks relieved.
"I'm sorry for what happened. But you have to know it's not your fault." I tell him.
"I know that...deep down. But...my record..." he starts tearing up.
"Your accident was one in a million" I reason with him.
"Maybe... I don't know!" He replies sadly.
"Dominic... A septal myectomy is the most complicated surgery there is. You can't blame yourself!" I say firmly.
"Honestly? I have never felt this low. I feel like I failed my patient... and his family." He sounds depressed at this point.
"Don't say that, what was his name?" I ask him.
"Eric. A young man I have known for some time... He was born with a heart condition. I promised his mother-" as Dominic was explaining, I interfere and say, "Dominic, his parents knew the risks. Don't do this to yourself."
"I should have been able to fix it, but I failed." Dominic says, with his head down.
"You didn't fail!" I speak up.
"How do you know?" He asks, looking at me.
"Because I am certain that if you couldn't save him, then no doctor on this planet could." I reply with a big smile.
"That's kind of you to say..." he replies.
"Look! You are being too hard on yourself. No one's perfect." I tell him.
"People will think less of me..." he replies abruptly.
"They will think less of you, if you give up now." I continue explaining him, "Getting up and moving on is much harder."
Dominic thinks deeply, "I suppose..."
"If you continue to work up to your mark, people will respect your effort. That's what matters." I tell him.
"You think so?" He asks, doubtfully.
"I know so." I reply with confidence.
"Thank you, Sophia... I really needed that..." he says with a smile.
"I am always here for you." I assure him.
I wonder why I said that, but it's too late. Dominic's lost in my eyes.
I feel his strong hands pull me closer...
Just as I was about to speak, Dominic kisses me softly.
My heart pounds, as I run my fingers through his hair.
I stay in his arms, lost in his passionate embrace.

Unknown's POV:

"What's Sophia's car doing out here?!"
I step out of my car and walk towards the mansion.
As I am passing by the window, I freeze.
Dominic is holding Sophia, close... kissing her deeply.
"Oh boy, is she going to suffer for this..."
I whip out my phone to photograph Sophia & Dominic.
They both are too engrossed in one another, to notice.

You will pay for this, Sophia.!!!