Chapter 12 | The Epidemic

(The Next Day)

Sophia's POV:

I want to thank Dominic for what he did, even though I have no idea how he found out.
The first place I go to, is his office. He isn't expecting me.
"Sophia! Did we have a meeting?" Dominic asks me.
"I-I came to talk... about what you did for me. How did you-" I was about to ask Dominic.
But he interrupts me and says, "Doesn't matter. Was that why you were avoiding me?" He continues, "Why didn't you just tell me? Why did I have to overhear her threaten you?"
"I was scared." I reply, with a frown.
"Scared of Leona? Or your feelings for me?" He asks me, directly.
"You just know everything, don't you..." I bash at him.
"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have said that." He continues, "Though I have been wanting to talk to you about that kiss."
He speaks nervously, "I'm sure you are aware by now that I... that I have feelings for you." He continues, "But I shouldn't have acted on them so impulsively."
"You shouldn't have." I agree with him.
"I know. I feel awful about having taken advantage of the moment." He replies, shaking his head.
"Well, atleast I know you are sorry..." I tell him.
"Ofcourse, I am. I'll do anything to make it right again." He continues, "But still... the timing was so inappropriate..."
"What are you saying?" I ask him, confused.
"Our relationship was becoming... less than professional." He makes a straight face.
"So... we can't be friends?" I ask him, doubtfully.
"I'm in it too deep, Sophia. I like you too much. I need to keep my distance from you." He tells me, in dismay.
"But-" As I was about to speak...
...Dr.Kiara interrupts me, "Dominic! Oh. Am I interrupting something?"
"No, we were just discussing Brandon." He tells her.
"Oh, the guy that keeps getting sicker?" She says, sarcastically.
"That's how you speak of your patients?" I snap back at her.
"She's right, Kiara." Dominic sides with me.
"Okay. If you are done being all self-righteous, can I borrow you?" She rolls her eyes.
"...Sure." He replies, as he leaves.
Dominic walks with Kiara, and I mull over what just happened.
Why did I say all that? I have a boyfriend!

A little while later, I am summoned to the conference room with the other interns.
It's an emergency.
"Hey, do you know why we are here?" Olivia asks me, concerned.
"Maybe it's good news! Like Dominic leaving for good?" Cooper joins the conversation.
"Cooper! Can you not say things like that?" I yell at him.
"Also, I was mapping out a hiking trail for us this weekend. What say, Sophia?" He asks me, excited.
"I'm not sure... Brandon's surgery is due... I need to be here." I answer him.
Cooper sulks.
Dominic makes an announcement, "Alright, everyone. This isn't easy for me to tell you, but... Our neighbours in New Zealand have been hit by a serious epidemic. The casualties are constantly rising. Our Governor-General has announced that medical aid will be sent from Sydney. We are being called to duty. A team of doctors from across the city has been assembled to assist the victims. Everyone present here is part of the task force. We leave here tomorrow at 6am."

The room empties put in silence. Med school did not prepare me for anything like this.
"I just saw the news... The virus is spreading like wildfire. They haven't seen anything like this before." Olivia informs me.
"I'm nervous... I've never been on ground for a medical emergency." I tell her, nervously.
"Well, we all learn at some point, don't we?" Olivia assures me.

(Later) Home
"Dr. Dominic didn't mention anything about a treatment. What do we even know about this virus?"Olivia asks me, concerned.
I stay silent, thinking about what Liv just said.

(The next morning)

Before I leave, I go looking for Dominic. Something about yesterday left me uneasy.
"Sophia! Dom told me you were prone to being late. Go wait with the others." Dr. Kiara shouts at me.
Dr. Kiara is so hard to read. Sometimes, I feel like she hates me. Oh God, does she know about the kiss?

I walk to the lobby, annoyed with Kiara's bad attitude.
I look around, still no Dominic in sight.
"Get in line for your vaccinations, scrubs!" A nurse calls for us, "Dr. Dominic's orders. Your immunity depends on this."
After the shots have been administered, the Lakeheart taskforce is airlifted to HMAS Waterhen.

Paihia, New Zealand
After a bumpy four-hour flight, I'm in the town of Paihia, New Zealand. The place it all began.
The weather is relentless, and I have to get to work immediately.
"Remember - we are here to save lives, not add to the damage. You all better be vaccinated." Commander informs us, strictly.
The small town is under quarantine, and I notice several patients in the camp, that Cooper walked into.
"Hey! I'm talking to you, missy! What kind of a doctor are you?" Commander calls me out.
"Do we have a problem, Commander?" Dr. Dominic asks him.
"Dominic!" I exclaim, as soon as I see him.
I don't realize how loud I was, and continue beaming at Dominic.
My whole demeanour changes, now that I know he's here.
"Seriously, Sophia?" Cooper gets mad at me.
"Well, he's the senior doctor... He has to be with us!" I reply, with a smile.
"Wow, I wonder why you are suddenly in the best of moods." Cooper frowns and walks away.