[3] What To Do

Note: I am attempting to keep this as similar and realistic to Demi's life at the time as possible. Demi has come out as non-binary in real life, but up until the chronological point in the story where Demi discovers this about themselves, Demi's pronouns will remain as she/her unless one of you readers asks me to change that.

"What To Do" - Chapter Title based on Demi Lovato's song with that title from Sonny With a Chance.

Ansley's P.O.V.

The day after meeting Demi, I went back to work like nothing had happened. Some of my biggest dreams had come true, but I could hardly even tell anyone. And Jacob was at school, so I really couldn't talk to anyone.

Cody approached me as I rolled utensils into napkins behind the counter. Yes. I could tell him.

"The hell is wrong with you?" he asked comedically, leaning against the counter across from me; the diner was practically empty.

I shrugged. "Just trying to comprehend something."

"What is it?"

I shook my head. "You wouldn't believe it."

He smirked. "Try me."

Taking a deep breath, I quietly told him, "I met Demi Lovato last night."

His eyes widened in incredulity, and he gasped a little. "You're joking..."

"I'm really not. Jacob made a friend yesterday, and it just so happens to be Demi's younger sister!" I insisted, seeing him still questioning it.

He placed the back of his hand on my forehead. "You're kind of warm. Sure you're not hallucinating?" He lowered his hand. "Are you serious?" His skepticism was astounding.

"Dead serious. I went to her house, Cody. Practically a million dollars' worth of cars in the driveway, humungous, multimillion dollar mansion. And dude, she's beautiful. Seeing her in real life is a thousand times better than a picture," I gushed in an excited whisper.

He rubbed his face with his hands, clearly unable to contain his enthusiasm. "That's so fucking cool. I'm having such a hard time believing you're not fucking with me right now."

Practically on cue, the front door chimed to inform us someone entered the diner. As I looked up at the person in a hat, sunglasses, a cute little flower dress, and boots, I was unable to dismiss them as anyone other than Demi. She scanned the diner, taking in its mood and lack of customers. Once her eyes landed on me, she made her way over to us.

"Oh, my... oh, my God. She's coming over here. Oh, my God." Cody was freaking out. He had to sit down on a stool. "H-hi..." he breathed once she reached us.

My heart was racing.

"Hey," Demi smiled at Cody. "How are you?"

"G-good," he stuttered. "Oh my god. It's really you."

She nodded with a laugh. "It is. It is me. And who are you?"

He was too stunned to reply.

"That's Cody," I informed Demi, slowly gaining enough courage to open my mouth.

"Hey, Cody. It's so nice to meet you." She pulled him into a hug.

He latched onto her, staring at me with a look of I can't believe you weren't lying. She rubbed his back until they finally released each other. Demi glanced around the area before speaking to me.

"Ansley, do you have a pen and paper I could borrow? I want to give your friend here an autograph."

I nodded and retrieved my notepad and pen from my pocket, passing them to her. With a grin, she found a blank page and wrote on it. It was a good thing this diner was nearly empty, aside from two customers that were paying no attention to us. No fans to bombard the celebrity.