[6] Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday

"Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday" - Chapter Title based on Demi Lovato's cover of the song "Mad World" from their seventh album, Dancing With The Devil... The Art of Starting Over.

Ansley's P.O.V.

Demi was absolutely gorgeous, as always. Not a day went by that I wasn't astoundedly taken aback by her raw beauty. My heart dropped to my stomach, and it was all I could do to breathlessly say, "Happy birthday," in time with Jacob and Drew.

The boys immediately rushed off to find Maddie and the others, leaving me standing in the doorway, a tiny giftbag in hand and a jaw that shouldn't have been continuing to slightly hang open this long. I smiled now, attempting to look natural as Demi looped an arm around my own. She pulled me inside and guided us through the house.

"I'm so glad you could make it," she beamed after she released me.

I ran my fingers through my hair. "Me, too." Me, too? That was the best I could do?

She giggled softly. "I have some people I'd like you to meet."

Gulping down my anxiety, I followed her through the house. Voices came from the open door that lead down to the basement, which I figured was where the kids were hanging out. We passed a few people that were in the living room and kitchen and back porch. We maneuvered down the back steps past people that were climbing up. I froze in place when Demi asked to cut past someone, because that someone just so happened to be Nick Jonas, who was there with his girlfriend Olivia Culpo. Yet another reminder that Demi was a big time celebrity.

The overall ambiance of the scene was quite comforting, as it was sunset which made me feel more hidden and less of a spectacle. Globe lights, strobe lights, citronella Tiki Torches, and a large flame in the fire pit kept the back yard well-lit but not too bright. About twenty people were in the pool, along with about ten people with their feet in and a few dozen others just standing around on the concrete or by the large firepit. A stage was set up in a far corner with a DJ on it, playing music at a high volume but not too loud that conversations couldn't be heard. Close to the house was a long row of tables with buffet-style food from caterers that many people were lined up for, while several other people lingered in the grass over near the fence or the garden, but the real hot spot that I was drawn to (which was surprisingly not as crowded as I'd expected) was a second, smaller fire pit I hadn't even noticed at first. Only about six people sat around it, including two of Demi's friends that I actually recognized from Demi's social medias: Matthew Scott Montgomery and Marissa Callahan. Beside them sat another woman that I didn't know, though she seemed to be close with them. Those three appeared to be awaiting my arrival. The other people around the fire – all of whom I identified as Natalie Martin, Kelsey Kershner, and Jill Powell – were chatting amongst themselves. Smoke from the fire slowly trickled into my lungs and warmed my skin in an inviting way.

Matthew, Marissa, and the other woman stood up as Demi led me into the circle.

"Guys, this is Ansley. Ansley, this is Matthew, Marissa, and Sirah," Demi introduced with a hand on my shoulder.

Oh, how I wished I could hold onto this moment of her touching me. My skin memorized the feeling of her hand on me, the sheer comfort of it all.

"Oh, my God – look at you, Ansley!" Matthew cheered. "Beautiful as ever. Demi was right about you."

He hugged me tightly, which made me hold my breath, as I wasn't a fan of being this close to a man. Demi picked up on this and allowed her hand to rest on my upper back for a few seconds. I wished she would've left her hand there longer to allow for more consolation, more solace.