Chapter - 4

"Cabir, just listen to me. He doesn't deserve you", told Manik, his voice not at all masking his desperation.

Nandini rubbed her head. It was almost a month after she went to Manik's place and since then they fell into a routine. Whenever there was an unsuccessful day at the hospital, he ended up at their door. Nandini would make him hot chocolate or whatever drink was available at that time and hugged Manik as he came back to normal. Sometime later, Cabir joined in the hug when she was out for a meeting and since then both the men found a strange dynamic between a friend and a brother. Cabir would tease him for everything, riling him up but if Nandini said something to Manik, he would give his disappointed 'mom' look. He is a Prince for god's sake, Nandini. Give him some respect, he would say. Manik was equally protective of him but would never come between Nandini and Cabir.

Today though, the Prince came around evening after his shift, yelling Cabir's name and asking him to break up with his boyfriend without giving him an explanation. Cabir would have done that if it were Nandini because he had a blind trust in her but it would take some time with Manik. It was an hour and she was getting a headache because of all their passive-aggressive arguments without actually making a real point.

"For the hundredth time, no, Manik. At least give me a reason. What am I supposed to say to him? That my friend asked me to break up with you because he thinks I am too good for you", told Cabir, scrolling through the channels of the television. The nonchalance in him was riling Manik even more.

"Why can't you trust me on this? Do you think I would intentionally hurt you?", asked Manik.

"Is this because it's a boy?", asked Cabir, even though he knew Manik didn't care about his sexuality.

Nandini held a hand before Manik could explain himself. He didn't have to, not when he had always supported him. Her best friend was just being mean deliberately. "Okay, children. Time's up. Cabir, shut up for a second and you would understand you are spouting nonsense just to get Manik to back off. Manik, he deserves an explanation for breaking up when their relationship is going well. Raghav is a decent human and he makes Cabir happy", she told. She saw the hurt look pass over his face and shook her head. "But I know you have a solid reason for asking him to do that", she told, silently promising him that she trusted him, "so, whatever reason it is, just out with it."

"Cabir would be hurt", muttered Manik.

It drew Cabir's attention as he pushed the remote away and pulled Manik beside him on the couch. "I would trust you even if you said we were aliens from a multiverse and know that you would never hurt me, Manik. If I am hurt, Nandini is right there and I know you both would take care of me. So, let it out."

Manik took a deep breath. "Raghav is married."

"What?", asked Cabir.

"He is married. His wife is pregnant and he brought her to the hospital today. He didn't see me when I saw them leaving the hospital. I asked the doctor who checked them and he showed me the reports. She was into her fifth month."

"What the hell", yelled Nandini. Fifth month? They started dating only a month back which means his wife was already carrying his child when he started his affair with her best friend.

"How could that be?", muttered Cabir. "I have been to his house several times and there was no hint of him being married."

"I don't know, Cabir. They said they had changed their doctor because of some issues at the previous hospital. I don't know exactly."

"I need a moment", Cabir said and grabbed his car keys.

Before he could run out, Nandini pulled him into a hug. "Don't let him hurt you. He doesn't deserve you if what Manik said was true", she whispered in his hair.