words bleed

The brightly large lit fluorescents shone down on the damp grass, and water droplets glistened off the tip of the freshly trimmed edges.

Zoe's heartbeat was thumping in her chest to a rhythm of fear of the unknown, and with each exhale she took her breath reflected back on her from the frigid night air.

Her head turned left, right, left, then right again; and everything in her line of sight meshed into a ball of blurs. Her hands were frantic when her fingers loosely ran through her hair, and she reconsidered taking her phone out to listen the voicemail once more.

Her head shook in contradiction to her own thoughts, only in pure acknowledgment to the understanding that Madison wasn't okay. When she received her phone call, she stared at the caller ID until her phone stopped ringing, and it wasn't until the voicemail notification popped up on her screen that she picked up her phone.

She was in a furiously drunken state, and she had straggled from the party that supplied her endless tequila to the football field where Zoe asked her out on their first official date.

Madison stated explicitly to not come by to check on her, because she was more than better off alone. Zoe knew her from head to toe- from the way her palm was lined to the faded freckles on her back. And she knew Madison was only telling her not to see her out of spite, and if Zoe had to guess it would probably be because of the fact that she decided to break things off recently.

They had been together for two years, but Zoe had to move away for college soon, and she didn't want to put Madison through long distance.

It wasn't like she lost feelings for her. She was still deeply, truly in love with her. Her love for Madison was the only thing that felt true to herself.

Her eyes glanced towards the bleachers, but she didn't see or hear any sign of Madison. Within that moment, a realization hit her slowly, and she looked over towards the touchdown meter that painted the grass white, and there sat a half conscious Madison.

She hurried over to her with wobbly knees, and every step she took was a risk of slipping on the wetness of the grass beneath her.

When she reached Madison, she kneeled down towards her figure and her lids fluttered open with an easiness.

"What have you done?" Zoe's eyes are wild when they take in Madison's presence, and how the alcohol has affected her face and her posture.

She's slouching slightly, and her eyes are droopy with an undying energy. Her pupils dilate slowly when Zoe leans in to her, and there's visible mascara running down in a trail that starts from her eyelashes and ends at her chin.

"Thank you for coming," She whispers into the night air, and in the midst of Zoe's brief check up on her Madison reaches forward to touch her face.

Zoe smacks away her right hand, but Madison continues her pursuit with her left to which Zoe flinches away from.

"You're really here," Madison puts her left hand forward again, and this time Zoe uses her own hand to stop her continuous movements. Their hands claps together aimlessly, and Zoe feels the familiarity of Madison's warmth against her skin, and she purses her lips hesitantly.

Madison reaches out with her other hand again, and Zoe clutches onto her wrist while pushing her away from her body.

"Stop it Madison," She merely hovers her palm over her face, but she doesn't go for skin on skin contact this time.

"You're beautiful," Zoe flinches away from her touch for what feels like the fourth time, and Madison reaches out again slowly. It was slow and careful, like she was asking for Zoe's permission to feel her once more.