Chapter 2: Couldn't Be Much More From the Heart

A.N. Follow-up chapter to finish up my psychic bond story from Snowells Week 2020. Takes place after 5.06. Chapter title and lyrics at the start, again, from "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. The song just really works for this story, what can I say. I included the graphic I made for last chapter too, just cuz. I might just have to make a new one for the second half of the story too.

Chapter Summary: Frost is back, and Harry and Caitlin have a lot of catching up to do.

~

So close no matter how far

Couldn't be much more from the heart

Forever trusting who we are

And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way

All these words I don't just say

And nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you

Every day for us something new

Open mind for a different view

And nothing else matters

~

Caitlin's entire body relaxed in relief the moment Frost finally broke through. It was like she'd been holding her breath since DeVoe sent her flying across the room of the speed lab, and now she could just be again. Leftover adrenaline buzzed through her system, even as she felt a sadness wash through over at the thought of losing her dad all over again.

Frost had already receded back within her, but Caitlin could still feel her presence just below the surface. It was a comfort she'd taken for granted once, that cold prickling just under her skin. In the weeks without her icy alter ego, she'd always felt too warm, and alone without her other half. Like she was without a vital part of herself, but she'd known for some time it wasn't only Frost that she was missing.

Jumping through the breach back to Star Labs, Caitlin's mind was already headed for the med lab. She only briefly locked eyes with Jesse, pausing in the doorway between the cortex and the hall, before the younger Wells nodded to her and Caitlin continued to her destination. When she found the room empty, her mind flew straight to panic mode.

"You got her back. I knew you would."

A serene smile broke out on her lips, turning to face him where he stood in the doorway. There wasn't any doubt that he could be anyone else but himself. With his arms crossed, hip perched against the frame, watching her through the lenses of his glasses with a smug expression of mirth on his lips. She remembered back to finding his note, the disappointment and sadness that washed over her all again because he'd left all over again. He'd left and come back before over the years, but the last time had felt dismally final. Having him back in front of her brought her more relief than she cared to admit to herself - for now, anyway. "I did - I think. Or, I think she was there all along and I just couldn't access her."

Harry tilted his head and then nodded. "Of course - DeVoe didn't use Melting Point's abilities. It was Brainstorm. A mental block."

"You're looking much better." She commented. She had been worried about how pale and quiet he was when Jesse first brought him, but now he seemed to be back to his regular self. Even better than when he'd left after they restored most of his mind. That spark was back, the internal enjoyment that displayed itself on his face when he got excited about something.