Chapter 1

A small family in the center of the village grew sick of the fighting, burning, and killing. They always attempted to cross borders, but many family members died. Only a mother and a father with a 12-year-old son survived. The parents believe their ambitious son will be able to create peace.

~~

     At the peak of sunrise, I wake. 

     My name is Marcellus, meaning young warrior. My parents named me that thinking I would one day save my people from the horror that is bound to happen. Though I think it's quite a stretch, it is plausible. Mother and Father always had great hopes for me, saving the village, ending the war, befriending a dragon, and so on. Of course I would be up for the job, so to speak, but  I don't know how I would do any of it.

     Well that's basically all that goes around in my head, in the morning. Then I simply eat some breakfast and read. Read on the mystical creatures, Dragons. To read on Dragons is forbidden by law, only because it is thought that reading on Dragons considers you a traitor who just wants to befriend one, which is exactly what I'm doing. But these amazing animals are an awe to look at, the way they fly and soar above the clouds and keeping up with the wind, it's a wish all in one.

     The book only contains few remarks on dragons, for it was written by my Great-grandfather. He was an amazing explorer and one of the few people who managed to tame a Dragon. Once he started writing, the war started raging. He died before he could finish. Half of the book is completely blank, there's not even a title. 

     Sometimes I think I should complete the book and name it myself, but chances of succeeding are slim to none. Anyone crossing to the Dragon side without being authorized will be shot. I may never see a Dragon up close that doesn't want to kill me, only in my dreams.

     The book frequently mentions of a small colorful Dragon. The size of it is slightly larger than our village houses. He speaks of the Dragon and their journeys together, flying across mountain ranges and acres full of flowers. But then he repeats of a vision in the future of a new discovery, an undiscovered place of complete peace and unconditional love. A haven for both populations to live.

     I usually just ignore the mention of the place, but I still remain curious of what it means. Is it in another dimension? Is it what this place will become? The part of the book reads: "We have connected. Things will change. Iris and I have seen it!" Great-grandfather wrote. There have been multiple times where I have seen the name "Iris." Who is this? Is it the Dragon Great-grandfather connected with? Is it another human?

     It is most likely a Dragon that he knew. I have seen drawings of a Dragon in the book, the name Iris does suit them. If it is a Dragon... Does that mean...? He connected with it? What does that mean? Did they combine minds?

     A small paper slides out of the back of the book. I glance at the paper for a moment. Is the book trying to show me something? I pick up the folded paper and start to open it.

*BOOM*

     The ground shakes, screams hide the morning breeze, flames cover the eyes of the village. 

     "Someone disturbed the Dragons," I think to myself as the flapping wings of flying Dragons blows the half opened paper away.