35

after the hug, you both let go off each other and figured it would be time to look for aether and paimon. he was taking fairly long and considering that he now was a wanted man in liyue, it would be dangerous.

you both were now walking outside, looking for the so called northland bank, luckily you went there once so you somewhat remembered the way.

you two were about to enter the staircase untill you heard a horde of guards march right past you, they were muttering something and you could make out the words 'assassin of rex lapis' and 'jueyun karst'.

there was only one person who could fit that description, aether. it would be best to follow them rather than go to the northland bank.

diluc heard it too, he tapped you on the shoulder to grab your attention and mouthed, "lets follow them." very silently.

immediately nodding at him, you two simultaneously turned around and went the other way, away from the stairs leading up to northland bank.

you didnt even manage to fully turn around, "where do you think you two are going?" you heard an all too familiar voice speak up from the top of the stairs.

it was the worst possible time for him to show up, you stopped in your tracks just like diluc did, he had recognized the voice as well.

"if youre wondering about your traveler friend, ive sent him to jueyun karst to meet with the adepti." he said in an emotionless voice as he slowly walked down the stairs.

now fully turning around, your eyes met with dull blue ones. his orange hair shielded half of his other eye as usual and his mask was still on the side of his head like last time you two met.

diluc and you both had a look of confusion on your faces, obviously thinking the same thing, 'why would aether go to the adepti now?' the thought clouded your mind.

you wanted to ask it, you had already parted your mouth but diluc beat you to it, "why the adepti?" he asked rather calmly, knowing the two men were not on very good terms.

the corners of childes mouth turned upwards in the slightest bit as he still descended the stairs, he spoke up immediately after hearing the question, "justice." the orange haired male said as he fiddled with his short gloves.

"liyue was founded by the geo archon and the adepti." he started off with. you scanned his expression and behavior, after looking for a while you noticed he had no intent of saying anything bad, so you decided to let him continue.

it remained silent after childe finished his sentence, he took it as a sign to keep on going, and he did, "if there is anyone in liyue who can help them now, its the mighty and illuminated adepti." he said and stood still on the first stair step, looking down on you and diluc.

"if the adepti confirm that aether and paimon are innocent, then they will be cleared from their wrongdoings." he finished saying and folded his arms in front of his chest.

childes words made sense to you, "right, because the adepti are now in charge of liyue..." you said and casted your gaze away from childe while furrowing your brows.

"since the geo archon is dead." diluc finished your sentence for you while looking your way, his eyes landing on your facial features, trying to read your expression.

you were feeling conflicted, you knew already that the fatui, your own organization, was behind the death of rex lapis. but yet you had heard nothing about the mission. 'do they not trust me enough to know..?' you thought to yourself.

childe was looking your way as well, unsatisfied with your silent response and spoke up, "y/n." he said in a stern yet gentle voice, calling you.

snapping your head back up to meet his gaze, he saw he had your attention and continued to speak his mind, "you seem confused?" he stated in a question like way.

of course you were confused, it was as if you were never supposed to know about this plan. as if you werent worthy enough of it.

"i am." you confirmed his question. before you could even ask about everything, childe already spoke up, "lets talk somewhere more private then." he said and took one final step of fully descending the stairs.

"what? no." you heard the red haired man besides you say. childe was still confused why diluc was acting that way, 'does he not know thats my comrade??' he questioned in his mind.

diluc made his way in front of you in two big steps. he extended his arm to yours, grabbing your wrist and dragging you away from childe.

you didnt even have a moment to process what was happening as you were getting pulled away by diluc, you two turned the corner and walked towards your temporary residence.

"those fatui..." diluc muttered out loud as he was walking while holding your wrist with his gloved hand. "always thinking they can just do anything." he said and sighed.

you looked back over your shoulder to childe, he made made a certain motion to you as you two locked eyes. his hand was in a fist, his pinky and thumb excluded and he held his hand close to his ear.

he motioned you to call or text him, 'seems like he finally figured out.' you thought to yourself, reffering the the fact that diluc did not know you were part of the fatui.