Chapter 1

Mitch's POV

I was headed to the top floor of the HQ when a voice stopped me. 

"Mitch," I heard. I whipped around, keeping my expression blank. Annika. 

"Annika, you're okay" I noted, giving her a small smile. She rolled her eyes and smiled. 

Annika and I, well it was complicated. After she shot herself and all of the other stuff happened, I brought her to the hospital. She recovered and eventually, we started dating. Anika was the only one who could calm me down and the only one who ever saw my emotions except for Irene and Stan. We acted as we would regularly, but we lived together. We lived in a house that the agency provided and stayed there together. 

Annika had been assigned a mission last week and had returned today. 

At work, we were partners and colleges, only when we were with Irene and Stan or at home were we dating. 

"Where are you headed?" she asked, catching up to me. 

"New assignment," I replied, pressing the elevator button. Annika frowned.

"Huh, I've been called up for a new assignment as well," she states, entering the Elevator next to me. I frown. 

"You don't think" I start and then trail off. Annika shrugs. 

"We'll know when we get there I suppose" she replies. I stare at her. 

"Home wasn't home without you," I say under my breath. She looks at me. 

"I missed you too Mitch," she says, smiling fondly. I gave her a small grin and we waited for the elevator to reach the top floor. 

The elevator door opened and we stepped out, in sync. We walked to Irene's office and Annika knocked on the door. I had my hand on my gun, anxious. 

The door opened and Irene invited us in. 

"Mitch, Annika" she greets, nodding her head at us. I cross my arms, impatient. I looked around the room. The room was almost empty except for a few agents and Stan at the table. 

Wait, Stan?

"Stan?" I questioned, confused. Stan Hurley, my first and only mentor was leaning against the wall, examining a file. 

"Rapp, good to see you" he greeted, giving me a smirk. Annika frowned. 

"Aren't you retired?" she asked. Stan raised his eyebrows. 

"Wow, I didn't know you were so blunt, Annika" Stan mused, closing his file. 

Irene gave him a look, it shut him up. 

"Stan is back with us now," she replies, leaning over the table to snatch the file from Stan. "Anyway, you two have a new assignment, together," she said. I leaned against a pillar, waiting for her to continue. She looked almost nervous as she said this next part. 

"Well, the new assignment, it's uh" she starts before Stan cuts her off. 

"You guys are going to catch a terrorist," Stan says. I flick him an irritated look.

"No shit, that's our job" I snap back. Irene glares at Stan. 

"Here, just read it yourselves," she says, handing me the file. I open it and stare at the pages. 

I only make out one word.

Beacon Hills, California.

 I drop the file onto the table. 

I stare at Irene in disbelief. Annika looks confused and Stan looks almost as nervous as Irene. 

"Is this a joke?" I ask, keeping all of my emotion out of my voice. Irene sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose.