Chapter 3

Match's POV

I woke up fully rested and thankfully, had no nightmares. I checked the watch at it was 7 o'clock on the dot. I got up slowly, making sure not to wake up Annika.

I got ready, changed into some athletic wear, and head to the kitchen.

I decided to just eat a granola bar and check out the gym that Irene had installed. I went to the basement and my eyes widened. The gym was huge.

There were numerous weapons, punching bags, targets, dummies, treadmills, stationed bicycles, and a hoop hanging from the ceiling by a long strand of ribbon. I knew that was for Annika, she'd been acrobatic when she was little and practiced nearly every day.

I closed the door and could tell that the room was soundproof. I picked up a gun and shot at the target.

I did this a couple of times, enjoying the thrill and adrenaline. I then proceeded to punch a dummy, working on a technique that Stan had taught me before he retired. After an hour or so, I decided to call it a day.

I'd probably come back with Annika once she woke up.

I headed back to the bedroom and saw that Annika was still awake.

I washed my hair and changed out of my sweaty clothes. I sighed and sat on the bed, looking at Annika's sleeping form. I leaned my head on the headboard and took a couple of quiet breaths.

I opened my eyes and saw Annika curled up. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she has clutched the sheets tightly. I watched her, worried.

Nothing happened for a few minutes, but then her breath quickened.

Nightmare. She whimpered, burying her head into her pillow. I rushed to her side of the bed.

"Annika, hey it's okay" I whispered. She was gasping and I knew that she was remembering the time she'd nearly drowned. "Annika, wake up, it's just a nightmare" I soothed, rubbing her arm. There were tears in her eyes.

"Help me, please" she cried out. soothed her.

"Annika, wake up" I urged. She bolted upright and was gasping for air. Her eyes were wet and her face was tear-stained.

"Mitch," she breathed out. Her breaths were jagged and sharp.

I pulled her into a hug.

"It's okay," I promised.

She cried into my chest and I rubbed her back soothingly.

"It's okay, you're safe now" I whispered. She nodded and her breathing was evening out. "Don't worry, nobodies, going to hurt you now" I stated, pulling away. She wiped her face and nodded.

She exhaled and ran a hand down her face.

"Thank you," she whispered. I smiled and kissed her. She kissed back, wrapping her arms around me. We pulled apart for air and then pressed together again. I deepened the kiss and pulled her closer.

She relaxed into me, smiling against my lips.

"Love you," I stated, kissing her neck.

"I love you more," she promised, her tone was teasing. I laughed and kissed her, just a short peck. She chuckled and got out of bed, pulling me with her.

"Where are you going?" I asked. She shrugged.

"To the kitchen, I'm assuming you ate and I want food," she stated. I grinned and we walked to the kitchen together.

Annika sat on the counter and ate a granola bar. I was next to her, watching her.

Annika finished eating and we lounge on the couch, watching a horror movie. Anika would speculate everything that would happen and, she was right. I laughed as she criticized the movie and the villain.