⟦ 2 ⟧

"I failed," Rae said, sighing sadly.

"Seriously?" Toast jeered.

"My teacher's letting me re-take the test out of pure pity."

Rae closed her eyes and munched down on her chicken.

Sykkuno was watching and listening at the cafeteria table. He took a sip of his water, accidentally letting a drop slide down his chin. Toast grabbed a napkin and passed it to him. "Thanks," Sykkuno mumbled, drying himself.

Toast nodded and turned back to Rae. "Do you need help studying?"

"No, I can do this on my own."

"That's what you said last time, and look what happened, you failed."

Rae put her fingers to her forehead, "Fine," she agrees. "I just don't understand how chemistry can be so hard, so many things to remember..."

Toast snorted.

"Toast, I will smite you."

Sykkuno giggled, watching as Toast teased the girl.

They've been buddies since kindergarten. They befriended Sykkuno after fending off some bullies.

Rae was always very headstrong, and Toast was there to keep control of when her temper went out of hand. Sykkuno always felt odd in the group, as he was labelled 'the quiet' one.

But the two assured the boy they loved Sykkuno by listening to him, primarily about his passions. They didn't interrupt him when he rambled, and they encouraged him in times of stress.

Without Rae and Toast, he understood his life would've been a lot worse.

"Fine, fine. I'll stop teasing." Toast chuckled. "I'm going to my class now anyway. I offered to help out earlier." he waved and walked away. "Hmph," Rae keened. "teacher's pet,"

Sykkuno smiled and chewed on some mashed potatoes. "Uh, I can help you out as well," he suggested. "With assignments and studying."

"Thanks, Sykkuno-" Rae stopped. "That reminds me, I forgot to type out my essay."

"What?!" Sykkuno yelped. "Did you even do a draft?"

"Yeah! I finished the main copy, but I forgot it needed to be typewritten." she groaned. "I still have time," she rummaged through her bag, her face full of panic. "I didn't bring my laptop," she revealed.

She stood up, hauling her backpack onto her back. "I'll have to use the library computers, no matter how slow they may be!"

"Good luck," Sykkuno replied, watching her speed-walk away. He finished his lunch, looping his bag around his neck. He stacked the tray on a few others and recycled Rae's forgotten milk carton.

Sykkuno began to walk towards the halls when he caught a glimpse of an empty table with only one occupant. The man looked oddly familiar, and Sykkuno felt ecstatic when he realized who it was.

He impulsively made the decision to walk over.

The boy wasn't eating anything. In fact, there wasn't a tray of food to be seen. He was playing games on his phone, tuning out the chattering students with earphones.

Sykkuno took deep breaths as he approached the person, getting closer with each step. He reached out his hand and tapped the boy's shoulder.

Sykkuno flinched his hand away when the other flung his head around, meeting eye-to-eye with him. "Uh-" Sykkuno stammered, "Corpse, was it?" Of course, it's Corpse. You'd never forget someone with a name like that!