Chapter 7

Zhan accepted the flowers. Out of courtesy, he invited Yibo in for a drink, leading the way with Yibo following closely behind. As soon as they entered the house, Yibo pulled him into a hug. Zhan did not struggle but he didn't hug him back.

"Zhan ge, I'm sorry. I was wrong. I made a mistake. I was scared and angry, I poured all the anger I had for other people on you. What I did was despicable, I admit my wrong. I sincerely hope you can forgive me, give me a chance to try to make up for it."

Zhan was indeed soft for Yibo. He honestly wasn't mad at him. He understood Yibo needed to trust him, he needed to earn Yibo's trust. How could he have done that? Yibo refused to open up to him. He felt he went too hard on him and pushed him away, back to where he felt relaxed, back to...something he felt he could trust.

Despite all of this, Zhan was truly hurt. It was one thing to know the one you love had just slept with someone else, it was another thing to watch that person pull him away. He wondered how many times they did it that night, those marks on his body, that thought had hunted him for a long time.

He knew he still liked this person but he didn't know how to accept and deal with what had happened. The reason he had refused to see him for some time was because he didn't know how he was going to react. He didn't want to rush into a relationship without properly dealing with what had happened. He patted Yibo lightly on the back and spoke.

"You don't have to apologise. You told me you weren't interested in a relationship but I kept pushing. Besides, you were only doing what you were paid for, he was just another client, right?".

"..."

"Yibo, it's okay. We can be friends, you can take me as your big brother. Come to me whenever you need anything, I'd never turn my back on you..."

"I like you Zhan, I miss you. I want...to be in a relationship with you, however you want it, I'm ready now. I'm sorry I was being too difficult. It took a lot of mistakes for me to get here. I don't want to make them again. As long as there is an iota of hope for us, I won't give up. Please consider my request".

Zhan felt helpless. He needed to think. "I've heard all you said Yibo. I'd think about it. I...I have to go now, my friends are waiting for me". Yibo nodded and let go of him. He turned to leave. Zhan watched him walk out of his sight completely before going back into the house to his friends.

It was his birthday and his friends tried to drag him out but Zhan preferred to remain indoors. Of course, they knew all about him and Yibo. When they saw them talking, they had come to eavesdrop on their conversation. They had provided him a shoulder to cry on when he was down. He could lie to anyone but not to them.

"A-Zhan, you should go easy on him. He has realized his mistake. He is all on his own at such a young age. He must have gone through a lot". Lay Zhang tried to put in a good word for Yibo.

"I watch him at work and I don't think he has a lot of friends. Even his colleagues try to befriend him but he always keeps a distance. They've invited him out several times but he always turns them down. Zhan...you may truly be all that he has. If you can forgive him, please do. If you cannot, then let him know as soon as possible so he doesn't go on a wild goose chase".

Darren agreed with Lay Zhang. "Zhan, how much do you know about this kid?"

"I don't know much, he never told me anything. I know he lives alone and he lost both parents. I know he is studying to be a teacher. I think he has some sort of financial issues but he refused to talk about them. He has always kept me at arm's length". Zhan's eyes began to water as he spoke. He wanted nothing but for Yibo to feel secure with him. "I offered to help him solve whatever issues he was having if it was related to money but this person turned me down. He is so stubborn. At a time I felt he was attached to the job he was doing but...it turned out he really just needed the extra cash".