All's Fair in Love and War: Chapter 2

Chapter Warnings: Violence 

... there's a pun, too...

***

"Mmmmm, funnel cakes are sooo good!" Goth hummed as he munched on a piece of fried dough from his plate.

"Hey, let me try some," Cray reached over, trying to pluck a piece from his plate.

The smaller pulled his food away, "What happened to your nachos?"

"I ate them; now I want to know if the funnel cake's really as good as you say it is," Cray reached further.

Goth hopped back, minding the crowd around them in his little game of keep-away. Normally, he didn't mind sharing, but he didn't get to have funnel cakes often and wanted to savor it, "Then go get your own; this is nacho food!"

"Haha, very clever," Cray chuckled at the pun, trying to reach around him and finding the way blocked, "Come on, just a tiny bite?"

"Nope," Goth laughed, dancing out of their range again while popping another piece into his mouth; it really did taste delicious.

As the taller skeleton reached once more for the plate, Palette stepped in his way and shoved a handful of popcorn into his face, "Here, you can have some of my popcorn instead!"

Cray backtracked, covering his mouth crammed full of popcorn as Goth said, "Thank you, but you didn't have to give him your food."

"It's fine," Palette smiled, turning away to stare at Cray, "You should be allowed to enjoy your food without someone trying to take it from you."

Cray went stiff, glancing away from the pair and swallowing the food blocking his mouth, "Sorry..."

"It's alright, I know you didn't mean any harm by it," Goth soothed, getting a small smile from Cray, "After we finish eating, why don't we check out the craft stalls?"

Palette and Cray lit up and Goth couldn't help but laugh; they were both creative types, so there was bound to be something they equally enjoyed there. With any luck, the common ground would help bring them closer as friends.

The trio made their way over to the crafts section of the fair, finishing off their food and dumping the containers into a trashcan before entering. Upon reaching the stretch of booths, both artistic skeletons were animatedly buzzing from stall to stall gushing over the crafts, supplies, and DIY pieces people and monsters had brought to showcase and sell. Goth followed along behind them, warmed by the enthusiasm the two showed as they perused the wares of each vendor.

Spotting a stall that had art supplies for sale on the other side of the crowd, Goth called over to the pair, "Hey guys, I'll be over here if you need me." It didn't look like they heard him, but he wouldn't take long and they were still close by.

If he recalled correctly, Palette was really into watercolors lately while Cray was currently into pottery; he easily found a portable watercolor kit, but was having a hard time finding pottery materials. Approaching the stall owner, he flagged her down to ask, "Um, excuse me, do you happen to have pottery supplies or glaze?"

The woman grimaced, "I'm sorry, I don't have anything for pottery specifically; I have some latex and acrylic paints that can be applied after firing, though." The woman escorted him down a makeshift aisle to the shelving where the acrylics were displayed, gesturing to each product, "They can either be purchased individually or in the variety packs here. Latex paints are on the opposite side of this shelf." The woman turned their head and apologized, "I'm sorry, someone else's waiting to be rung up. I'll be over at the table if you need any more help."