REBIRTH

"Tracy! Tracy!! Tracy!!" A voice called.

"Who's there?" I replied as soon as I heard the voice in the darkness surrounding me.

"Tracy! I got you!" Just as the voice said those words, the light from the torch on the walls illuminated the area. It was bright enough, but I saw no one. I felt so cold. I didn't know why. Where was I? The last thing I remembered was being shot by the detective. Is this the afterlife? Is that voice the devil's? So many questions raced through my mind, questions I needed answered. I hugged myself tightly, but the cold wouldn't go away.

"You are dead, Tracy, but Abram gave his life for you," the voice spoke, continuing, "Hmm, but I forgot to tell him that there's a consequence attached to giving a life for a life."

I kept quiet and listened. "Welcome to my world, Tracy." The voice then came closer, passing through me while saying, "YOU HAVE TO KILL TO LIVE!!"

Just after that last sentence from the unknown voice, everything became silent and clustered. I was standing, but now I was lying down in a box. Panic surged through me, and I started punching my way out of the box.

I couldn't feel any pain; I kept digging toward the top.

Finally, I broke through to the surface. I was buried? My fingers were bruised and bleeding, but I still felt no pain. I crawled my way up, and as I stood, the voice echoed in my mind: "Kill to live." Then, I started feeling the pain from my fingers.

21 Years Ago

Mr. Gilbert rushed into a room—an office. He went straight to the desk and pulled open the drawer, anxiously searching for a document when some men entered. One man stood in the middle of them and quickly asked, "Mr. Gilbert, where are you in such a rush?"

"Nowhere; I'm just organizing my files," Mr. Gilbert replied, forcing a smile as he faced the men, who looked poised to attack.

"It has to be tonight. I don't think there will be any further delay, so we expect you to play your part. Get your wife here by midnight," the man said, adding, "I hope you won't disappoint us."

"I won't, Mr. Fred. Thank you. Now, can I get back to my arrangement? If you don't mind." Mr. Gilbert responded.

Mr. Fred spread his hands, signaling for the men to leave. As they exited, Mr. Fred shot a serious look at Mr. Gilbert. Just after he left, another man entered.

"Mr. Gilbert, you sent for me. Is everything okay?" the man asked.

Mr. Gilbert looked at him, then continued searching the desk drawer as he replied, "Mr. Abram, I don't think I can do it anymore. I'm running away tonight with my wife."

"You shouldn't do that, sir. These men will come after you, and they'll kill your whole family, whom you are fighting so hard to protect," Mr. Abram said, moving closer to Mr. Gilbert. He placed his hand on Mr. Gilbert's shoulder and added, "There are many more women out there."

Mr. Gilbert fell into the chair, tears streaming down his face. "I know, but she's pregnant. My child is inside her. I really can't do this. I've got a place where I can go and have a peaceful life with my family. I won't do it; I just can't."

Mr. Abram kept tapping his shoulder. "It's alright. You are a man; you're allowed to make decisions for yourself. Do as you please, my friend."

Mr. Gilbert stood up, shocking Mr. Abram, and left with a folder of files.

Present Day

"Hey, miss! What are you doing here at this time?"

I looked up to see the cemetery guard approaching me. My hands and clothes were covered in dirt, and I kept hearing the voice speaking to me reluctantly, becoming increasingly annoying.