004 | The Lantern

When my little daughter comes back inside, she shows me a strange jar. She tucks it close to herself, as if it were her most prized possession.

Sometimes, when playing in the backyard, she finds random items scattered among the grass. This time is no exception; I have to admit this is the most unique one I've seen so far, though.

It's not a jar like others. There are small, pale lights inside. I doubt those are small lightbulbs. I believe my daughter has just found some lightning bugs.

I try to snatch the lantern from the kid's hands, but she gets defensive. "Come on, Katelynn, give it to me." I exhort. "I just want to see what's there-"

She snaps. "No! It's mine!"

I put my hands up and laugh, defeated. "Okay, okay, you can keep it. But there can be lightning bugs or, why not, magic powder." This could easily be a lie. She believes that magic exists, but it has already been proven that it's only a figment of imagination.

Still, why is the lantern glowing? Before anyone asks, its light seems stronger than that of a hundred lightning bugs stuck together.

I need to make sure that Katelynn doesn't get hurt by it.

"Mommy! Look!" As she squeals out of excitement, I realize that something is slowly coming out of the jar even though its lid is shut. This confirms my suspicions: the lantern doesn't contain lightning bugs, it contains magic powder!

Katelynn goes on. "Mom, what if there are fairies? I want to see one!"

I close my eyes and don't answer. I don't really know what to believe anymore. Maybe I should've thought better than believing that magic is pure imagination. There's something real about it, and I'd love to find out what.