009 | The Order

"Hello, who is it?" Lisa's voice is a whisper. She doesn't know who's on the other side of the line. She's too afraid to ask, though. She has suspects, but chooses to let them slide, at least this time.

“Who is it?” She insists; then, she clears her throat, hoping whoever is there answers immediately.

“Lisa, it’s Dave from Accounting-”

“Who? Really? I… I haven’t heard of you in, like, ages. What’s the problem?” Questions pile up in Lisa’s mind, even though she can perceive the frustration in her interlocutor’s voice.

It’s obvious she and that Dave guy haven’t talked a lot at work, and it shows in this forced conversation.

“Lisa, the Order sent me a warning. I have to recruit forces to defeat the Evil. It’s urgent! I-”

Lisa cuts him off, laughing. "Stop it! You know, I’m not into this kind of jokes… Seriously? What’s the real matter?

“Lisa, I’m not joking. You and I are meant to be the ones who’ll defeat the Evil. The Order’s fate, as well as the world’s, depends on us. It’s a death or life matter. Either we fight or we die.” Dave’s voice becomes increasingly graver as he talks. Those mysterious forces of the Evil must be a huge threat to humanity.

For the first time since the conversation began, Lisa understands what “a death or life matter” means. She and that strange man from Accounting are supposed to be the Good. They’re supposed to protect life, but at what price? Do they even have a plan?

But, most importantly, do they know where their inner force lies?