Chapter Thirty-One | Owned

"Autumn, stay here, I'm going after him," ordered Captain Thorn. I threw him the aquarius and my remaining gun since his was emptied. He caught them and bolted from the room in pursuit. I struggled to my feet. Officer Byrne dropped at Decker's side and forcefully yanked up his shirt. She cursed. "It's not good. Whatever weapon that was burned him badly."

    Edwards helped pull Bird to his feet. Officer Peterson stood by the Justices, his tablet clutched to his chest. I pressed my palm against my face and felt the sticky blood from my nose. I opened my mouth to speak when the doors slid open once again. General Koba and four men entered, weapons at the ready. My mood soured. I would have preferred letting Captain Thorn deal with him but that obviously wasn't an option at the moment.

   "I knew it!" General Koba snarled. "You're done! Attacking the Justices themselves—" "I've got them now – they can't fool me!"

    "Are you kidding me?" Bird muttered under his breath. Edwards elbowed him sharply. I inhaled to calm myself down. My nose scrunched slightly and ached in response. "Are you seriously suggesting that we were the ones to attack the Planetary Court?"

    Before General Koba could answer, one of the Justices stood up. "Not this fool again. I thought we dealt with him." Justice Cassana glowered as she jabbed a finger at the general. "This is the third time this month that you've jumped to conclusions like this, Madn Koba." Slowly, the remaining three Justices were finally calming down and taking notice of the situation. And the five weapons trained on my crew. I eyed the nearest one.

    "These people are clearly imposters, you said so yourself—" tried the General. "She's got to see reason—"

    Byrne suddenly chuckled from across the room. The Justice in blue and green fixed a sharp eye on the general. "How could you know that?" Justice Valria looked outraged as she added, "you were listening, you bloody traitor." "The audacity of this fool!"

    The reason for Byrne's amusement became clear when the color drained from General Koba's face. I fought a smug expression before looking at the Justices casually. "If you want him arrested, I'm pleased to say that my Captain's rank equals his." I suggested slyly.

    "Don't worry about that," snapped the Justice in silver and yellow. "I'm finished dealing with this man." He looked livid. "Madn Koba, you are demoted. No longer are you the general. And now, First Officer, arrest him."

    Koba's men faltered as Koba raised his hands. "This is a misunderstanding—" I caught the handcuffs Edwards tossed my way and dangled them from my finger. I cocked my head. "Madn Koba, you're under arrest by order of the Planetary Court."

    "You can't do this!" He spat at me both mentally and verbally. "She has absolutely no authority over me. I need a way out." His mind flew. "My men – they're loyal to the Court. But the third, he's mine. I've got him owned." My eyes latched onto his hand as it gave a signal only I knew was coming. My ears picked up on the click of a gun. I knew there was no chance I'd get out of the way in time. I prepared to throw Koba as a human shield, my arms tensing.

    There was a gunshot. I wasn't hit. Koba wasn't hit. Instead, the solider preparing to shoot me cried out and went down. "My leg – my leg!" In his place stood Captain Thorn, his face smoldering. My gun was held in his hands.

    There was a stunned silence. Captain Thorn stepped forward and grasped Koba's cuffed hands. He gave me back my gun with a curt nod. I put it in the back of my waistline. Koba was shocked into silence. "How did he know . . . There's no chance. All the soldier had done was unclasp his weapon. It's completely silent. So how did he know? The woman was about to push me into the way, too. She knew as well. How?"

    The Justices were watching warily. The officers knew what had happened, of course, but they were working to keep their faces schooled into normal surprise. Officer Peterson's was a bit lacking. I cleared my throat and looked toward the Captain. "No sign of the man?"

   He shook his head. "He's a ghost. It will take much longer to locate him."

   "Take all of the time you need," said the Justice in purple and blue sharply. "I'm voting to give you full immunity and our full resources until you find the man that killed Flyx. All in favor?"

   The other three Justices' hands shot upwards.