Chapter Two | Meeting

The first step in the process involved a party. Typically that would be the final step, but the ISGC had elected to make it the first. World leaders involved in the operation were invited, as were the crew of the Patriot and Bridge Crew of the Pioneer. The Bridge of the Pioneer had already been chosen and were halfway through training.

    Roughly two weeks after accepting the offer, I arrived to the convention center in Houston. Security patted every pocket thoroughly, but found nothing besides my dress blues. I entered the main room and took in the sight, scanning over the individuals.

   It was easy to tell the difference between world leaders, Patriot crewmembers, and Pioneer crew members. For one, every crew member (regardless of ship) held military stature. Secondly, the Pioneer crewmembers had uniforms. Dark grey slacks and navy tops. The rest were leaders. I recognized several countries. The US, England, Canada, and even China had apparently joined the endeavor. There were countless more. Undoubtably the countries involved in the IGSC.

   Locating a waiter, I took the offered glass and drifted into the crowd. A few people mingled here and there. But no one really knew each other, I could tell. I merged in and out of the crowd, curiously examining the individuals like a puzzle.

   "Ah, Ms. Autumn!"

   Director Wilds smiled as he caught my gaze. Obediently, I headed his way. He shook my hand. "Wonderful to see you again!"

   He wore a sharp tuxedo, his hair loose and straitened down his back. He'd ditched his glasses for contacts. In that moment, he reminded me of a tic-tac with a wig.

   "I admit, I am surprised that this will be my first interaction with crewmembers."

   "As is the plan." He sipped his whiskey. "This is a good place to meet one another. Relaxed and without pressure. No one knows what position they hold, yet. There's no reason for tension."

   My eyebrows raised. "Positions have already been chosen?" I'd figured that positions would be delegated after testing everyone for their specialties.

   He made a face. I got the sense he hadn't been in charge of assigning roles. "In a way."

   "I don't suppose you will tell me my position, will you?"

   "It is not my place to."

   I suspected that I'd been chosen for a direct combat or aerial position. Those were my specialties, after all. "Alright. Also--" My gaze found someone over his shoulder. A tall man with skin the color of dark chocolate. I barely caught a glimpse of him and his posture, but I knew who I was seeing, immediately.

   This was, quite possibly, the only soldier in here that looked proud merely through their stance. The other soldiers didn't hold themselves like they were on active duty. But that man did. And he caught my attention immediately. That was someone I needed to meet. He undoubtably was going to be a Bridge Officer.

   I conversed briefly for a few minutes with Director Wilds before I politely disengaged. He meandered away while I drifted to the food bar, idly checking on the man from the corner of my eye. He wasn't wearing dress blues -- I was the only one doing so. He wore a tuxedo with a dark blue bow tie.

   Looking back down at the table, I selected a few pieces of celery. A few moments later I sensed his presence. I relented the illusion that he hadn't noticed me studying him. He appeared beside me at the bar, examining the options with interest.

   "Out of all the soldiers here, you're the only one in your dress blues."

   I placed a few cracker sandwiches on my plate. "I wasn't aware of a dress code."