Part 4

Part Four

You really needed to stop trying to carry too much. It was to the point of becoming a bad habit. But, at least this time, it wasn't your groceries...just your mail. Maybe you should start checking the mail more than once a week...

...or maybe you should just stop order things online when you were tipsy and thought that your classroom needed things.

As you are struggling to carry in your packages, you run straight into a giant wall of "human"...again.

Everything in your hands drops to the ground with a resounding "CLUNK!"

In embarrassment, you cover your face. "I am so sorry!" You blurt out as you drop to your knees to begin picking up all of the packages and envelopes that likely contained junkmail. You don't even look up to see the person you ran into.

Your hand accidentally brushes over the gloved hand of the person you ran into as they try to help you. You snap your eyes up to meet the piercing blue eyes of your neighbor. You've seen him in the hall before, so you know it's him with his dark hair and piercing eyes and slightly rugged look. For a breath, you both stop.

You shake yourself, though, because this is not a cheesy romance movie.

"...hi," he says, almost startled.

You smile, widely. "Hi!"

Awkwardly, he hands you back your envelope that he is gripping. "So...um..."

"So...?" you raise an eyebrow, still trying to smile and be friendly. He had never spoken to you before, so, this was something...odd.

He grimaces, almost looking embarrassed. "Do you...come here often?" He lamely asks. You choose to think he was struggling to socialize...after all, his friend did say that he was a hermit.

You choose to make a joke with him instead. "Oh!" You feign surprise, still kneeling down with him. "So, you do know how to talk to people!"

A look of offended confusion crosses his face. Of course it does! He has never really even looked at you before! "I'm sorry?"

You laugh and shrug. "Here I thought you just didn't like me!" You wink at him, trying to make sure that you show him that you are joking.

You extend your hand to him, juggling your packages and other mail. "I'm Y/N...I'm your neighbor." He takes your hand in his giant gloved hand and shakes it.

Wow...he was strong...

He smiles, genuinely, almost flirtatiously. "I'm Bucky."

You feel your face get hot and you lick your lip, still smiling. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Bucky."

He looks at the packages in your hand, holding his own mail and yours. "Did you...Did you want some help with that?"

You stand up and smile, shaking your head. He is still very flirtatious and inviting. This is surprising to you, especially given that he never seemed to care about anyone else. "I think I got it," you say, nonchalantly.

"Your hands...just looked full," he says, almost insistently. He hands you the packages, anyway. "I could at least get your door," he offers.

The offer is so genuine that you aren't really sure how to deal with it. This would be the second time in as many weeks that someone had offered to do something kind for you. "That's really sweet," you say, smiling.

He helps you get into the elevator and you ride up to the seventh floor together. As you walk down the hall to your apartment, Bucky takes your keys gently and opens your door for you. You knew he wasn't coming in to help with your mail, but, you kind of wished that he would. "I didn't peg you for a gentleman," you joke, lightly, as you step through your doorway.

He shrugs. "What can I say?" he mutters, almost grimacing again. "I'm full of surprises."

"Maybe I'll get to see more of them?" you offer, hoping to extend the invitation.

He smiles. "Maybe."

There is a long, awkward moment before you speak. "Well...see you soon?" You're hoping he catches the hint. You're hoping he see it...

"I hope so," he says, still flirtatious. I quirk an eyebrow. Well, it wasn't a date, but, it was better than nothing!

"Bye," you say, your smile a little too wide as you step into your apartment.

"Goodbye," he says, awkwardly now, as you shut your door.

After you shut your door, you lean against it for a long moment, smiling. You have to call Scarlett!