o

the bell rang just as i was whisking some cream on the metal bowl. today was pretty packed due to the start of the school year, as well as those who used to come here because of work. my wrist started hurting from whisking furiously, but it didn't take long enough for it to become a whipped cream. 

"busy day, same shit." i heard one of my workmates mutter. i chuckled and continued decorating the cake so i can set it up on the stand. 

"i overheard our boss talking on the phone. she says the cafe will close for a week since she'll set up preparations for a wedding!" 

i perked up at the information and we all automatically turned our heads towards her. 

"so that means…" 

she grinned before pressing the bell, indicating that a customer's order is being served. 

"day off, baby!" she cheered and the others joined her as well. i just beamed and continued decorating with cheerfulness this time. 

as soon as i was done setting up the cake on the stand, my coworker handed me some food for a few minutes break. the cafe was calm as of now. the students are either chattering or doing their work in their laptops. 

it didn't take long for the bell to ring again, though. i took off my apron and hung it on the nearest coat rack. one of my coworkers was handling a customer while i took my time to eat the onigiri that was given to me. 

"is that a seaweed?" 

a voice suddenly interrupted my peaceful eating as i turned around to look at the man leaning on the counter. he was on the waiting line as he lazily took off his mask. 

"yes." i replied, about to walk away when he suddenly scrunched his nose. 

"who eats seaweed these days?" he asked no one in particular, trying to keep himself busy by looking at the straws on the counter. 

i scoffed at him, "majority of us do. you got a problem with that, hun?" 

he immediately glanced at me upon the last word, eyeing me up and down as if he was judging me for saying that. he huffed and completely wore his mask. 

"seaweed freak."