Chapter 11

January 15, 2021

Laughter, jokes, cheering and teasing. Everyone was downstairs, celebrating Issac's birthday. My parent's precious son has finally turned twenty-one and is leaving for university soon to complete his master's. Issac will never fully be out of my life, and I have come to accept that. I have my life and he has his. I know that he will never bring back that day to apologize and I don't want him to.

I have my work, friends, studies, and goals with me. My work has especially brightened my life recently. My parents suspect something is up since Issac and I never talk to each other unless they force us. And even then it is only if we need to ask each other about something for our parents. Our conversation doesn't last more than ten seconds and our sentences are smaller than five words.

My growth has become known in the whole town. Quinn is still my best friend. I still share a bathroom with Issac, and I'm still healing. But now I've expanded my friend circle, held my chin up everywhere I go and learned to never run away. Issac is just like every other guy, he doesn't care what happens to those who hurt him. A few days ago, I had finally decided to tell someone. They had held me that day and gave me the comfort I sought. They helped me in many ways and were with me in making the biggest decision of my life.

I don't want to show off my success and give Issac a reason to call me petty. I will make my name out there so much that he won't be able to avoid me. No matter how much he tries to hide, my name and picture will be there. Waiting to haunt him for his actions. Ready or not Issac, here I come.

I walk down the stairs slowly, my heels click the wooden floor with each step making my presence known. Issac stood next to my dad while my mom took a picture. I saw some of my friends and went towards them. I greeted people as I went, stopping sometimes to make small talk. I had read a book about how to present yourself in public so you can convey your values to others without talking.

The way you talk, act, sit, stand, and even drink, says a lot about you. Anyone who wants to notice you will look at everything and anything about you. Each step you take must look preplanned to them. Every time you take a sip from your glass, you should know what it contains and not take a big gulp. I nod my head at the woman and smile as I reach my friends.

"Look at you," Adriana smirked. "Grown-up, well-known, and talking with the adults." I shook my head slightly while laughing.

"That's how it looks to you little children," I smile back. "But for us adults, it's normal." Adriana gives me a playful glare making giggles erupt in the group. I look over at Quinn to see her looking back at me. I nod my head at her slightly and she nods back. Before anyone can notice our exchange, my mom announces that dinner's ready. "C'mon, let's go eat before my brother and his friends eat it all." The girls find my statement funny as they laugh but only Quinn knows that I'm not joking.

"She's not lying," Quinn states. "One time when I was sleeping over, we were ten minutes late to dinner and Issac and his friends ate all the food." The girls look at Quinn shocked, then they look at me before looking towards Issac.

"How?" Zoey whispers.

"One big mystery to me," I smile. We head over to everyone with some of the girls still dumbfounded. Not that I blame them, I would be too, if I hadn't seen it for myself. There's a lot of things people can't see for themselves, so they tend to dismiss them. Even if it was all true but with no proof.

"Timberly, come over here," my mom calls out.

"I'll meet you guys later," I say without looking at my friends and head over to my mom. "Yes, mother?" I stopped next to my mom who was facing Issac and my dad.

"Did you say happy birthday to Issac?" she asks.

"No, I didn't get the time," I answered, looking at my mom. I turn to face Issac and smile. "Happy birthday, Zeke, congrats on turning twenty-one." I smile at his confused face and excuse myself. I walk over to my friends without looking back. Looking back too much can lead to self-doubts, and I have had too much experience with that.