1: 01

1942 - Brooklyn, New York

Katherine Nelson hurried along the streets of Brooklyn, a folder close to her chest.

The office she needed to go to was closing within the hour and she hadn't had a free moment until that evening.

She passed busy streets crowded with people in work clothes, everyday outfits, and a group of soldiers.

One of the soldiers noticed her and said, "Come on, baby, give us a smile!"

Katherine picked up her pace, both in a hurry to turn her papers in on time and to avoid the men who didn't seem to want to just talk.

The man who'd called her out caught up to her, his breath hot on her neck. He spun her around and her nose scrunched at the mixed scent of cigarette smoke and whiskey.

"Please let me go," she said. "I really need to go."

"You're right where you belong, sweetheart."

The man lifted her chin, bringing her face close to his as he placed another hand on her back, pushing her flush against him.

Katherine struggled against the man, but he proved to be too strong. She continued trying to escape his grasp and the man laughed.

She spit in his face and the man's expression changed from a disgusting flirtatious one to one of pure rage.

He pushed her away and knelt in front of her, pinning her to the dumpster.

"Get your hands off her," a voice demanded.

"What are you gonna do?" the man taunted.

Katherine's rescuer lifted the man up and punched him. "Don't come near her again."

The men ran off and the brunet man turned to Katherine. He held a hand out and Katherine took it, easily hoisted up.

"Thank you," Katherine said. "I tried to get away, but-"

"It's not your fault. Are you all right?"

She nodded. "Yes, thanks to you. Have you seen a Manila folder? I really need to submit it."

The soldier picked up a slightly muddy file and wiped it off. "What is this, might I ask?"

"Some final papers."

"For?"

"For military service. They drafted me. I'm aware of the paradox of struggling to defend myself and wanting to serve my country."

"You'll learn to fight. I know how being drafted feels. Come on. I'll walk you to where you need to go."

"All due respect, thank you for the rescue, but I don't know you."

The man put on a brave smile. "Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes, but you can call me Bucky."

"A sergeant, huh? Pleasure to meet you." She smiled as her dark blue eyes met his steel blue. "Katherine Nelson. But you can call me Katie."