1: 09

LONDON

BAR

Steve and Katherine made their way to the bar where he had enlisted his Howling Commandos.

Katherine stared at the bar and frowned. "Steven Grant Rogers. Tell me you're playing a disturbing joke."

Steve looked around. "What are you talking about?"

"This bar. It's where you enlisted your Howling Commandos. Why here, Steve? Why here?!" She stumbled and collapsed to her knees as she tried to keep from sobbing, but failed.

Steve knelt next to her, pulling her into his arms as she let out choking sobs. "I miss him too, Katie."

"I never told him how I really felt. I got scared and I-"

"Katie, you can't blame yourself. I think deep down he knew."

"You should take your own words to heart." Did he know? She could only hope so.

Peggy followed the voice of a radio through the rubble.

A man on the radio said, "Blackout is still in effect throughout the London area. Please wait for the all-clear. Your attention, please. All citizens shall remain indoors until further notice. Blackout is still in effect throughout the London area."

Peggy found Steve and Katherine pouring themselves a drink.

Katherine huffed. "Not like this will do any good. If I can heal quickly, what are the chances I can't get drunk."

Steve glanced up and said, "Dr. Erskine said that... the serum wouldn't just effect my muscles, it would effect my cells. Create a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means um... I can't get drunk. Did you know that?"

Peggy looked at them before saying, "Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side effects." She changed the subject. "It wasn't your fault."

"Did you read the reports?"

"Yes."

"Then you know that's not true," Steve and Katherine said.

"You two did everything you could. Did you two believe in your friend? Did you two respect him?" Steve and Katherine looked at her as if to say yes. "Then stop blaming yourselves. Allow Barnes the dignity of his choice. He damn well must have thought you two were worth it."

"I'm goin' after Schmidt. I'm not gonna stop till all of HYDRA is dead or captured."

"You won't be alone."

Katherine took another sip of her drink as a dark look crossed her face. Bucky was gone and she would never get him back. He was gone, and she vowed to avenge his death, whatever it took. She didn't care if she came out of this mission alive. After all, why should she care anymore? A part of her had already died; a part she would never get back.

If only she'd said those three words. Maybe he would've survived. Maybe he'd still be here.

She shook her head. No, that was a mere dream. Life was cruel and unkind. She downed her drink and said, "Let's get them."

Steve glanced at his friend worriedly. "Kat, he wouldn't want you to come. I want you to be safe. I don't think-"

"You don't think I should come?"

"No. You should be safe. Bucky wouldn't-"

"What? I swear if you repeat that he wouldn't want me to come, that he'd want me to be safe, I'm going to shoot you."