one

┍                                      ┑
—chapter one—
┖                                      ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

RUE GROANED IN ANNOYANCE as she felt a light tapping on her face.

"C'mon Rue," Tama pushed. He didn't care much about being late for school, but he knew Rue wouldn't be happy if he let her stay in bed for too long. "We're gonna be late."

"I'm up." She groaned, slapping her brother's hand away as she sat up. By the time Rue rubbed the sleep away from her eyes, Tama had left her room, shouting to their parents to let them know she was awake.

Rue reached over and picked up her phone, eyes widening when she saw the time. She never slept in this late, she must've forgotten to set her alarm when she got home last night.

She scrambled out of bed, shocked that she had managed to oversleep— something that never happened. She had always been prone to waking up early. She rushed over to her closet and began to get dressed quickly. She slipped out of her pajamas and replaced them with a pair of high-waisted shorts that were being held up by a brown belt. Pulling on an off-white tank top, she picked out a random flannel before sliding on her brown converse.

Thankfully, she had packed her school bag last night so she didn't have to worry about gathering her things. She ran a brush through her hair and rushed to brush her teeth. She gave her mom a quick kiss on the cheek before making her way out the door.

Just as she was running outside, she heard a honk. "I'm here! I'm coming!"

Ever since Jacob got his license, he had been picking up the group of friends for school in what was technically Billy's truck. As usual, Tama and Embry had already jammed themselves up front with Jacob, which left Quil and Rue to sit in the truck bed.

"Morning, boys." Rue greeted as she slung her back over the side and climbed in.

Once she was settled, she took the hair tie from her wrist and threw her up hair up in a bun to prevent it from getting too tangled on the way to school.

Embry shook his head shamefully as he slid the back window open. "Come on, Rue, you get up at like five-thirty, how are you late?"