Fairy Tale (Part I)

It was nighttime, and a full moon shone behind unseen clouds as the mist gathered and trailed the roads that guided thieves and travellers alike. It was dark and quiet, and yet if you listened closely, you could hear the hoots of owls and the whispers of bats as they went about searching for prey. If you watched closely, you could see tiny movements of some rodent scurrying through the bushes or a wolf wandering around, silent in the darkness, its nose waiting for the scent of sweet blood to flow through it. There were no lights, except for the moon and the stars, and those grew dimmer as the night went on. If you slowed down or became lost, you were as good as eaten.

But if you feel afraid, don't be. This is a story, after all, and in such stories, there are only happy endings.

The girl knew this, the girl who stood by the crossroads, lost and confused, unsure of which way to go. Her eyes were sad and worried, her blond hair hidden beneath her travelling coat, as she stood between two paths. Left or right? Left or right? Unfortunately, it seemed she missed the first rule when walking the crossroads: If you slow down, you are bound to get eaten.

The girl did not move for at least five minutes, as her eyes darted back and forth between the signs. Foxes and wolves and bears and giant cats and bandits gathered in the shadows hidden behind the girl, gazes pointed at her, waiting for her to misstep and fall, for any sign of weakness or vulnerability.

Just as the girl seemed ready to give up, there was rustling in the branches above her.

"Who's there?" She questioned.

A shadow walked the branch that was closest to her, then stopped, its face smug and knowing. It was a cat, and a very typical one, with a coat of midnight black and clever, green eyes. It tilted its head to get a better look at the girl, eyes widening in sly amusement.

"Well well, who do we have here?" said the cat.

"Um...." said the girl. "Sorry to trouble you, but I'm a little bit lost. Can you tell me which way is the right direction?"

The cat laughed at her. Or rather, it wasn't a human laugh, but more akin to a series of high pitched shrieks and hisses, like a room filled with hyenas.

"Silly girl, in a situation like this, every way is the right direction. There is no way that is not right and no way that is not wrong. It all depends on where you wish to go."

The girl bit her lip and pulled the hood of her coat over her head. She hesitated. She didn't want to tell her secret to this cat, who was as suspicious as it gets, but she doesn't want to get lost again either.

"I lost a piece of my soul to a demon. It was the same demon who killed my parents and decorated our house with their bones and organs. I want a path that will lead me to vengeance."

The cat was silent for a while, before beginning to lick one of its paws.

"That's it? What a boring story you've got there."

The girl reactively opened her mouth in protest when the cat began to speak again.

"If that's the path you wish to walk, then it sees that you ought to choose neither left nor right."

The girl stopped in confusion and the cat bore its emerald eyes into her own.

"You came here from your home, searching for the atrocity that destroyed your life and loved ones. That means it ought to still be there, waiting for thy presence. The path you walk shalt be the one to take you back to the start of thy journey."

The girl's eyes widened as she realized what this meant and closed her eyes. She would have to return to that dark place once again, where strings of intestines lined the walls and cries of pain and torture lingered long after the demon had eaten its fill. Yet, no matter how much she thought of her parents, the way they screamed in terror as their guts were stabbed and hearts torn out, she could not feel sadness or remorse, for her soul was stolen from her.

This was stupid thinking on her part. The demon never vanished nor left the house, yet here she was in the woods, following trails that stretched miles away from her home, searching for its presence. Was this fear or denial?

She gave a small bow, then stood, facing the cat. She wanted to say thank you out of habit, but closed her mouth at the last second. A wise choice, for the crossroads prey on the weak and emotional, and even the slightest error may result with you trying to repay a debt for your whole life. She turned around to leave when a voice sounded behind her.

"Just remember," said the cat, as it leapt from the branches and landed gracefully on the ground. Its eyes were glowing now, with a subtle softness inside of them, as though in warning.

"To choose the path you have taken, it will not lead you to happiness and satisfaction, but more pain and hardship. This is not thy problem, but 'tis the natural figure of the demon itself. Any road directed towards them will lead to their darkness and destruction. If thee wishes to continue, I suggest to proceed with caution and wit."