Underwater- a mermaid story

I climbed into the car, ready to take a long ride to Vermont with my best friends Elizabeth and Chloe. I was 12 years old, and it was a beautiful summer morning.

"Lindsay! Lets go!" Elizabeth cheered. I laughed as we left from my home place of Connecticut to a journey into Vermont.

•••

We climbed out of the car and stretched. A beautiful place, we sat in. The foliage was bright green and welcoming.

We were in Vermont. The breeze rang in my ear like a melody of nature. We walked into the amazing house. It was huge, for starters. It had 3 bathrooms downstairs, and 2 upstairs. I wandered up to my bedroom and gasped. It was the most beautiful place I've seen in a long time. The blue blanket stretched over an extremely long bed. I dumped my suitcase on the floor and ran downstairs.

"Alright girls! Why don't you go outside?" Elizabeth's mom suggested.

"Alright!" Chloe shouted.

We went behind the house. That's when we saw a little opening. I pointed it out, and we climbed in. The cave was a beautiful purple green color. I recognized it as crystals. The rocks were jagged and piercing. The radiating aura of the place was extreme.

There. Right there. Was the most perfect place. To sit and watch the sun. There was a small pool of purple water. I wanted to hop in there. It was so warm, I could barely resist the temptation. I went close. Chloe and Elizabeth gasped as I slipped on the slippery water of the cave floor. When I was scrambling up, I landed in the water.

"Agh!" I shouted.

"Lindsay! Are you alright?" Chloe asked.

"Yeah," I said, climbing out of the water.

As we explored farther, there were more pools. We reached a strange area. This time, the water twas tinted aqua marine.

Chloe bent down and touched the strange water.

"Wow... It's so warm!" She said, eventually leaving her entire hand in the water.

"Chloe, lets go." Elizabeth said, tugging her along.

There was one more area. A small, tinted green pool. This time, as if fate, Elizabeth bent down and felt at the water. She pulled it back quickly, surprised at the warmth.

Then we all collapsed to the ground. Our legs. Our legs were binding together. I watched it happen.

My muscles wouldn't work. They wouldn't let my legs pull away. Instead, my legs turned a deep shade of purple and grew scales. Yes, scales. I wanted to scream and shout. Instead, I kept calm and watched I horror as my legs became a mermaid tail.

I dragged myself over to the water. There was a small opening at the hole. I motioned Elizabeth and Chloe to follow me, and they did.

The movements of the tail felt natural. Like they were always meant to be on me. My tail flipped up and down as I propelled myself towards the shore. I used my hands to hoist myself on the grass. Using my hand, I steamed my tail off with heat. I eventually grew legs again.

"ELIZABETH! CHLOE!" I screamed.

We all sat there, lost for breath, and humans again. I curled my fist by the water again. It began to bubble. I just looked in curiosity.