Chapter 5

A mellow waft blew across the upper deck of the ship, as it sailed at a moderate pace. The weather was calm and bright, with soft clusters of clouds adorning the serene cerulean blue sky. Nadīm took his time soaking in the gentle ocean breeze enveloping his entire body; soon, even the salty ocean smell would be missed, like a fragrance of nostalgia.

Senari Harbor was seen in the distance, where the ship would dock quite soon. Even from where they were, they could already make out the traffic of mercantile activity, with it and the harbor's gleaming majesty rivaling those of Batu Sawar Harbor.

"We're almost there, Nirnama!"

The hero, standing next to Nadīm, nodded in response, his lips moving in a string of utterances.

"What's that you're muttering now?"

Nirnama gave him a glance without so much as moving.

"Praises and glorifications of Allāh."

"You never get tired of doing that, do you?"

"Only with the remembrance of Allāh do hearts find rest."

Nadīm pouted his lips. "You don't think we've been well-rested in our sea adventure thanks to the sea deity's mercy? What about all those rich people who pay tribute and pray to him for safety?"

A slight smile on Nirnama's face. "Allāh subḥānahu wa ta'āla suffices as Guardian and Helper."

"How confident are you that it's Allāh who's been protecting us?"

Nirnama's smile grew wider. "Well, for one, it's impossible for created beings to always take care of their fellow creatures."

"But the sea deity's not just any creature!"

"Have you seen him, though?"

Nadīm went quiet.

"Same goes for those ancestors and forest spirits of yours—have you seen them, too?"

"Well, you've never seen Allāh too, have you?" Nadīm smirked.

Nirnama chuckled. "True—but, Allāh did send to us His Beloved Messenger, and with him the Qur'ān. From there, guidance began; and from there, we learn. Compared to that, how have the ancestors and the so-called sea and forest guardians benefited those who believe in them?"

Nadīm blinked, flustered at being on the receiving end of Nirnama's questions. Nirnama smiled slightly as he patted the back of the boy's shoulder.

"You're a smart kid, Nadīm; use your mind. Look at the world around you— how things are arranged in such wondrous order, each having their own measure and purpose without ever overlapping another—and all rendered to serve mankind? Would the different gods, each governing their own domain, be able to do that? Chaos would reign if so. The utter perfection we see before us can only come from the One God."

"Wow..." Nadīm was awestruck by what Nirnama explained to him.

Nirnama looked to Nadīm, gauging his reaction.

"You don't talk much, but somehow, you have a knack for annoying people whenever you do!" Nadīm elbowed Nirnama.

The two laughed.

Nirnama rarely spoke at length. Yet the boy noticed his tendency to speak of only things that bring benefit. He preferred not to engage in idle chatter; his lips would only be seen muttering adhkār­—praises in remembrance of Allāh. But when there were things he felt to be meaningful, eloquent speech would flow, as he spoke at length to clarify them further, however long it took.