Chapter 8: Family Lessons

"Hmm," said Venom, "It seems my hunch was right." "What do you mean?" asked Ruby. "Emerald's semblance is illusions." "But, aren't those semblances during a fight like this illegal?" asked Ruby. "They're criminals, they don't follow the rules." "Fair enough."

Later....

"YOU'LL NEVER BEAT ME OLD MAN!" cried Ruby. "You're just talk kid," replied Qrow. "C'mon Ruby!" said Yang. "Soaring Ninja Wins. Total Inhalation!" said the announcer in the video game. "By the way," said Qrow, "don't call me old." Venom then said, "He uses his semblance of Bad Luck to win. All because he can't control it." Ruby frowned at this revelation. "My turn!" said Yang, as she shoved Ruby out of the way. "New challenger approaches!" said the announcer. "So, where was I?" asked Qrow. "You were telling us about your last mission," said Yang. "Oh yeah. So there I was, and I instantly knew that something was wrong." "What was it?" asked Ruby. "Well, I looked around, and I saw it." "What was it?" asked Yang. "I was defeated." "By what?" "By the mere sight... of the inn-keeper's skirt length!" "Soaring Ninja wins!" said the announcer, "Total Inhalation!" "You are the worst!" said Yang. "He's such a pervert." "Best two out of three?" asked Qrow. "New Challenger approaches!" said the announcer. "So did you get in trouble with Ozpin?" asked Ruby. "No, me and Oz go way back," replied Qrow, "We're cool." "Cool for an old fossil," said Venom. "Heh," said Ruby, "Venom just called you an old fossil." "Not funny, goo boy," said Qrow. ".....Better than being called a parasite." "So Uncle Qrow," said Ruby, "Why are you here? I thought Dad said that you'd be on a mission for like, ever." "Well," said Qrow, "A professional Huntsman like myself is expected to get results as soon as possible." "Yeah, I get that," said Ruby, "we're pretty much pros at that." "Oh really?" asked Qrow. "Yeah, we totally saved Vale while you were gone," said Yang, "Read the news sometimes." "Really?" asked Qrow, "Because I heard that Vale suffered from a Grimm Attack after you almost managed to stop a train." "Soaring Ninja Wins: Total Inhalation!" "But they don't give out medals for 'almost'." "Yes they do!" said Ruby, "They're called Silver!" "Well we helped take down Roman Torchwick," said Yang, "He's locked up on Ironwood's ship and crime's been down ever since. That's basically a bounty mission." "Yeah," said Qrow, "You maybe acting Huntsmen and Huntresses, but you're not thinking like one. You really think four girls, a parasite, (PARASITE!?) and their friends could end all the crime in a Kingdom?" There was a short silence before Ruby said, "Well, I did before you said that." "Crime hasn't dropped since Torchwick got nabbed: It's stopped completely. No White Fang activity anywhere around the city. You cut off the head of the King Taijitu, but now the second head's calling the shots. That's what Ironwood can't get through his think, metal head of his." "You," said Yang, "Know the general?" "Hey, I know everyone to some extent," said Qrow, "You're talking to a member of the coolest team to ever graduate Beacon: Team STRQ (Stark)." Qrow then got a picture of him, a woman in a white hooded cloak, a blonde man who looked like a brawler, and a familiar woman with a rotating sword with dust blades. "That's when I met your parents," continued Qrow, "We were pretty well known back in the day." "Well known for crummy fashion sense," said Ruby. "Hey! We looked good!" said Qrow, "And I have a number of inappropriate stories that'll back that up. But I'll save those when you're older." "And Summer may be a part of them at times," said Venom, "I was there." "Ew, gross," said Ruby. "Anyway, I'm too old to be hanging out with a bunch of kids. You're gonna cramp my style." Qrow was walking out before saying, "Look, just remember that you all have a long way to go. Don't think for a second that when you graduate, you're done learning. Everyday out there is worth a week in this place. You two are gonna go far. But only if you keep learning. If you never stop moving forward." Qrow then left, and Venom said, "Woah, he's actually grown since I last saw him."