Chapter 32: Beatrice Cooper

The bar door bangs open, starling the bikers within and has them reaching for their waistbands. It is only when Dr. Amin's head peers through the door that the men relax and go back to drinking and chatting ridiculously. 

I take another sip of my virgin cosmo as the women around me talk about random, idiotic acts that they have done to get out of getting into trouble - major and minor. I see Eli flick his fingers in my direction, wanting me to subtly go over to him, and I know that Dr. Amin has the DNA results for Navy. 

The lab was supposed to get back to her earlier but there was a reasonable hold-up, and the extra days have been pure torture. Though the last week has been one of the best weeks of my life, not knowing about Navy and what will happen with our daughter has been one of the most stressful things I have endured. 

That's saying a lot with what has just happened in the past month or so.

Reaper gets the message that this is something private, so he heads over to Fiona to either annoy her, start making out with her, or pulling her into the middle of the room to dance. My hand interlocks with Eli's, my heart pounding violently in my chest. 

My chest heaves, my hands shaking. We enter an office - not the sex office but her office. We sit down in silence, the air feeling heavy on my shoulders. She sets a manila folder in front of both of us, our bodies leaning forward to take a peak within it.

"What does any of this mean?"

"Well Whiskey and Beatrice, living relatives of Navy Mae St. James were found. I have taken the liberty of contacting them, but it seems that her parents were interestingly not close to the extended family members. 

"There was a falling out due to her parent's marriage and them having a child of mixed race - Chinese and Mexican. Honestly, I regret to inform you both that because of disgusting racial issues, none of her distant relatives are willing to attain guardianship over your child."

Eli and I gaze over at each other, tears stinging in our eyes. We would never treat her that way, anyone that way.

Dr. Amin continues the bittersweet narrative. Mostly bitter but somewhat sweet.

"As a result, they have legally and officially, through the quickest guardianship case ever, allowed you both to be her parents. All you have to do is sign the adoption papers."

"Can we do it now?"

"I have them right here. Do you need a minute to discuss?"

"No. We don't."

"Beatrice..."

"No, Dr. Amin. I promise you. This child has been ours since the moment we met her."

"Personally, I am extremely glad that you two have accepted this role for her. She adores you both and is a lucky girl."

"Every person deserves a home, a safe place. That shouldn't be luck."

"I agree, very much so."

It takes about ten minutes to fill in the papers - less climatic than hope for - and then while she takes the papers to whoever, we decide that it's time to tell Navy about the situation. We say our 'goodnights' to the other members of the MC and head out in the night air. 

With gravel beneath our feet, we talk softly about how we want to approach Navy about what happened. Although we want her to learn about white privilege, inequality, both systemic and internalized/individual racism, we aren't quite sure she is old enough to understand the emotional undertaking of the decision her extended relatives made.