Chapter 7

El sat on the couch, holding her phone in her hand. It was already Sunday, and she hadn't gotten ahold of Mike to see if he could come over. She had their messages open on her phone, trying to decide what to type, or if she even wanted to do it.

"Dad, would it be okay if Mike came over?" She asked. Hopper sat at the table, drinking a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper.

"Mike...the one who you said you are not dating," Hopper said, sighing with deep thought.

"We're not," she said. He stared at her for a second and nodded.

"I'm taking Joyce out for lunch. I suppose he can come over but...no sex."

"Dad!"

"Sorry! I'm just messing with you...kind of," he laughed.

"I may not be dating Mike, but obviously you are with Joyce. Whom you said you weren't going to date," El teased.

"Not really dating. But, we'll see. She is a very nice woman," he said. El's smile faded slightly and Hopper sat down next to her and put his arm around her. "I know what you're thinking about. But just know you wouldn't ever have to call her mom. Hell, not even stepmom, if you don't want to. Joyce knows what happened to you, and she would never expect it out of you either, okay?"

She nodded and Hopper hugged her and kissed the top of her head.

"Now, I'm going to head out. I don't care if you have Mike over. Have fun," he said. He got up and went outside, and she waited until his car pulled out of the driveway to text Mike.

7742 Oakwood Drive. See you soon? - El
11:59am

See you in a bit - Mike
12:10pm

El sighed and sat back down on the couch. She was super nervous, but a part of her was very excited. She tried to pretend she didn't want him around, or to be around him, but she failed. The truth was, she really wanted him there.

It was about 25 minutes later when Mike's car pulled into the driveway. El stayed on the couch and waited until he knocked on the door, pretending she didn't know he pulled in. She got up and opened the door for him. She felt an overwhelming, immediate sense of peace wash over her in his presence. She stood there, staring at him. She noticed the faint freckles on his cheeks, the chocolate brown color of his eyes, the gentle curls in his hair.

"El?" He asked.

"What? Oh, sorry, come on in," she said, closing the door behind him.

"Uh, these are for you," He said, holding out a bouquet of dusty pink peonies.

She took the bouquet from him gingerly and smiled, holding them to her nose and smelling them. "They're beautiful...how did you know these are my favorites?"

"Insider information." He gave her a little wink and she smiled slightly.

"Um, let me grab a vase for these. What do you want to do?" She asked.

"Well the weather is kinda nasty today. Maybe we could just hang out here and watch a movie? Or, we could go across town and go bowling."

El laughed. "I suck at bowling. If the gutter rails aren't up, every ball is going in the gutter."

"Me too." He chuckled and stepped closer to her.

"Well then, we're probably better off just staying here and watching a movie...besides, I'd rather it just be us..." she admitted. It was silent for a minute. "Uh...do you want anything to drink before we sit down?"

"No thank you," he said quietly. Wow, awkward. She came over and sat down on the couch and he sat beside her, about a foot away. They were both still, trying to adjust to being alone like they were. It was different than being out to lunch together, or even in his car.